2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, January 28, 2010


Rest In Peace, My Friend...

I'm sorry to be the one to share this news, but I know that many readers here followed or know personally the blogger Shantytown, who retired from the internet last year after hundreds of hilariously snarky posts. Shannon Hunt, the fabulous force of nature behind Shantytown and one of my closest friends, unexpectedly died yesterday. She was 28 years old.

Shannon had gone through a lot of changes in the last year, all of which were good. She had enormous success in a weight-loss program, found a great new job, bought a new car, and more. She and her best friend Robbie went to London together to see Kylie Minogue in concert, then last October went with me to see Kylie again on her U.S. tour. Yesterday, a freak accident took her from us, which seems so unfair I can barely process it. She had me in stitches on the phone just last week, as she hilariously went off on the cast of Jersey Shore.

I met Shannon when I worked with her on Edward II, and fell in love with her when she stage managed my production of Angels in America. She loved that play, and told me it was the great theatrical experience of her life, which really moved me. She talked to me often of angels after that, and what they meant to her; in fact, she kept the angel wings from that production and mounted them in her living room.

Shannon was acerbically funny and smart, with a wit that would have put Oscar Wilde to shame. Underneath it all, however, Shannon had one of the most tender and loving hearts of anyone I've ever met. She cared for her friends fiercely, and her loyalty was astounding. I will miss her the rest of my days.

A memorial service will take place on Saturday in Columbia, MD; if you're a friend and would like the info, please e-mail me.

I love you, Shannon. Fly with the angels.


Blogger xolondon said...

This is very sad - I remember Toons going with Shantytown to London - am I right? I just wanted to send my warm thoughts. I sadly can kind of understand what you might be going through and send a warm hug. Your elegy is really lovely.


1/28/10, 11:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

1/31/10, 1:27 PM  
Blogger NicksFlickPicks said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this, Gabriel. I'm sending you my best while you absorb this unfair and terrible news about someone who was dear to you.

1/31/10, 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home