2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, December 24, 2009


The Old Holiday Magic

A neatly decorated Christmas cake.

Happy holidays, everyone, whether it be Chanukah, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Christmas, Al Hijra, or any other celebration I might have missed. I hope you get all the presents you want, all the love you deserve, all the peace we need, and all the treats your digestive track can handle.

It's been an interesting time, these holidays of 2009, the Holidays of the Downturn. It might be my imagination, but walking the streets here in New York, I see fewer lights and decorations than in previous years; I've seen notably fewer people in the stores (especially at Macy's Herald Square, usually a war zone, which was practically peaceful during my trip last week); and a lot of tight smiles (grimaces, really) when the idea of year-end charity is raised. (Please, give to your favorite nonprofits...they are all on the brink, and need it very badly. It's the great untold media story of 2009.)

Whatever the truth of this ugly economic moment might be, I hope we'll all turn the corner here and see nothing but blue skies in 2010 (or at least gradually clearing ones). For my Christmas celebration today, I'll be with Mr. ModFab and my family; the itinerary includes a trip to see The Princess and The Frog, followed by a holiday feast at Gobo (yay, I'm not cooking anything!). I'm also going to upload more photos over at Glitterlens, and maybe review some of the movies I've seen recently, including the good (Up in the Air, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Avatar) and the not-so-good (Nine, The Young Victoria).

Until next time, I hope you have a great, relaxing, enjoyable, energizing, modern, fabulous holiday. You deserve it!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


Blogger Esther said...

Merry Christmas to you and Mr. ModFab. Hope you have a great day.

Too bad about Young Victoria and Nine. I was looking forward to those. I'm afraid Fantastic Mr. Fox and Avatar aren't up my alley.

12/25/09, 12:21 AM  
Blogger DJ Craig Mingus said...

This has been the worst year ever for me in many ways yet with great turning points. As the year ends I say a big "fuck you" goodbye to 2009 and a "please come in" to 2010. It's time to rock 'n' roll!

Avatar is very enthralling and the IMAX 3-D is great for once. Planning on seeing A Single Man and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (because it's from Terry Gilliam), and possibly Up In The Air.

Happy New Year to you and looking forward to your continued posts.

12/30/09, 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home