2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

 

Adam Lambert and the Making of a Gay Icon



Adam Lambert's taking a lot of heat around the blogosphere for the cover to his upcoming album For Your Entertainment, but I, for one, think it's pretty amazing. Sure, it's out there, but the detail and style of the 80's-era parody is dead on. Adam's clearly in on the humorous, campy joke...that album title drips wit and irony, considering his background as a product of the Idol machine.

More importantly, though, is just how "out" the image is. When's the last time you saw the record industry embrace androgyny to this extent? I have to go at least two decades back, to RuPaul's "Supermodel" moment. Adam's making a breathtaking statement, if you really think about it...this image rejects marketing strategy, parodies the shallowness of mainstream pop, and presents an in-your-face queer icon. It practically dares you to buy it. It eroticizes feminine men in a way we haven't really seen since Bowie. It not only rejects traditional masculinity, it suggests that sexiness comes in many, many, many flavors. Yay for sexy sissy boys!

Long story short: I love it. I'm buying it the day it comes out. And if I'm lucky, I'll buy the poster and hang it in my office. Go Adam!

(Which doesn't mean I've forgiven him for that "Time For Miracles" nonsense on the 2012 soundtrack. I'm going to just pretend that never happened.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger deborah.rush2 said...

Great write up and totally agree with your opinion of Adam's new cover. I think he is much smarter than people who are not fans give him credit for. As for Time For Miracles - on first hearing the snippet it did sound cheesy and not what I would ideally want to hear first from Adam - but after hearing the full version and in tandem with the video - I have to say it is much better than is being credited. I showed it to my two sons both in early 20s - one a heavy metal fan (actually he is in a metal band too) the other into house/club scene music - both of them no fools where music is concerned and would definitely be the first to be laughing at me for liking anything uncool. They both watched in silence (no mocking during the video: so far so good I thought but no doubt they will say that was dumb awful at the end). I had to ask them what they thought at the end and both of them said it was epic! And awesome! I said cmon, you can tell me what you really think and explained the video had taken a lot of flak. Ok they admitted the CGI effects / blue screen etc was a bit naff but Adam's performance and the song was epic. If you don't like it, you don't like it but there are some who genuinely feel it is good. Just one little story I had to share :)

10/29/09, 8:38 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

Remember Simon Cowell's first comment after Adam's Ring Of Fire on AI? He said simply "What the hell was that?" Adam works hard to make us say "what the hell was that" - that's his goal, God love him. I just hope there are many many more "what the hell was that" moments coming. And I say "icon" period, not just gay icon.

10/29/09, 10:18 AM  
Blogger JimmyD said...

I get what he's saying with this cover. I just think it looks poorly produced. Maybe he saw fan art and decided to use it?
I'm very excited to hear this album. I'll iTunes it but there will be no shame if people see the cover art on my iPod.

10/30/09, 9:01 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

While I still don't love his screechy singing, I love him in all the interviews and how he comes off and think it's great. I also love that he and Kris seem like genuine friends.

10/30/09, 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home