2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Saturday, April 25, 2009


A National Day Of Gay Mourning: Bea Arthur

I don't even know what to say. She has been an icon, an inspiration...and yes, I still watch Golden Girls in reruns every week. (Is that embarrassing to admit? I don't care.) Hopefully, the tributes over the next few days will mention her brilliant stage work, her excellent contributions to television history (Girls, Maude, All in the Family)...and maybe even her sexuality, which has been an open secret for most of her life. (The "in"-ing of Arthur has already begun in her obits today, which tout her marriages when she was young, etc. But having stood next to her while she quite clearly and brazenly hit on a very famous comedienne, I'll say: that wasn't my experience of Ms. Arthur. She was too fabulous, in all senses of that word.)

Bye, Bea. I will miss you very, very, very much.



Blogger ZenDenizen said...

I remember being a kid in my family and hearing my family talk about how great Maude was. It was a sad day, indeed.

5/5/09, 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home