2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Saturday, March 28, 2009


Spider-Man Musical Casting: Don't Believe The (Most Recent) Hype

A follow-up on the new Spider-Man musical, if I may. It may be true, as Michael Reidel "scooped" today (a full day after our piece, but who's counting), that Reeve Carney, one of the actors who sang at the Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark preview last Wednesday, is the new choice to don the webslinger's tights. But if I were you, I'd stay a bit skeptical about Reidel's "news"...over half of the crap Reidel says these days is complete fabrication, and as a man who saw Carney in the flesh, it strikes me as a very odd casting choice if true.

Now, Bernie Telsey is casting the show (or at least, he was present in the audience on Wednesday), so stranger things could happen. (I'll spare you my rant on how Telsey is singlehandedly destroying Broadway...some other time.) And Carney, to be fair, is one helluva singer. His rendition of "Rise Above," in particular, was stupendous...even Bono praised him.

But Reeve's not, in my view, a Peter Parker in any way, shape or form. First, he's got a loose sexuality, like a fey Jim Morrison, and a hip, androgynous rocker vibe. Which is all fine and good, but not exactly the type to play an uptight virgin nerd superhero. He lacks a little in the star power department...I question whether he's got the presence to hold audiences in the cavernous, huge Hilton Theatre space. At the preview, he seemed noticeably cowed by the audience. If he's the choice, frankly, my doubts about the musical might return.

I could be wrong...but for the musical's sake, I hope not.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , ,


Blogger par3182 said...

please don't make us wait too long for that rant

3/28/09, 2:19 AM  
OpenID ybfree said...

The whole musical thing is really scary. Why can't the "creative class" be more creative?

3/28/09, 7:08 PM  
Blogger JimmyD said...

You wrote, "...over half the crap Reidel says these days..."
I'd just like to make a correction...
I worked with him years ago at the now defunct TheaterWeek.
Almost everything Reidel writes is fabrication. He's one step away from tabloid journalism. He's quick to spew out whatever he wants knowing that at first there may be controversy but soon after all will be forgotten.
But I will add... I really liked the guy on a personal level. He was fun to work with and he made Alex Witchel cry. (She of who can dish it out but can't take it.)

3/29/09, 11:03 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

I'm still waiting on the rant...!!!

3/31/09, 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home