2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, March 22, 2009

 

Showtune Sunday: "West Side Story" Cool



I saw the new revival of West Side Story earlier this week, right before it opened. And...well. Uhh. Hmmm.

While I lowered my expectations way down beforehand (I felt it would be unfair to compare it against my memories of the movie, which is one of my top ten films of all time), it was a disappointment nevertheless. The direction was cold and formal; the piece never developed an emotional core. (What happened, Mr. Laurents? I was so happy with your work on Gypsy, and now this!) Some of the voices were strong (especially Broadway newcomer Josefina Scaglione, who is an exquisite Maria), but most were not. Suddenly, I think Hair might have a chance at that Tony Award yet. (I see it next week, and will report in.)

Of all elements, though, the biggest horrors were The Jets...terrible acting, subpar dancing, and almost every song off-key. Cody Green -- aka, the winner of Bravo's Step It Up And Dance -- plays Riff so stiff and untextured that he might as well move back to the chorus. Xanadu's Curtis Holbrook, playing Action, was flat-out embarrassing. In the group numbers, The Jets butchered "Jet Song" and "Gee, Officer Krupke," in my opinion. But it was "Cool," with its stunning Jerome Robbins choreography, that should have sailed. And it didn't. Posted above is the original company, who land every move with sharp edges, clean lines, and vibrant energy. If you've seen the new version, compare the two. The difference is astonishing.

But maybe it's not a total loss. It's a great musical, maybe the best of all time. And that may help them with the public and some of the critics, because hearing those amazing songs is a joy. (And the Tony/Maria duets are really, really good.) But taken as a whole, this West Side Story tarnishes a great work of art's legacy. Stay cool, boy.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

This kind of makes me wonder: what has happened to dance on Broadway? Remember how pedestrian at best the Guys and Dolls dancers are? I saw a high school production this weekend that was only marginally more ho-hum. Are there no choreographers? No dancers? Have the dance shows on reality television become the ONLY source for dancers?

3/22/09, 6:36 AM  
Blogger StinkyLulu said...

This post makes me even more sad that we missed connecting while I was in NYC this week. I would have so loved to hash through this with you.

I'm starting my own multi-part discussion of the show today...

3/22/09, 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home