2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

 

I Am A Complete Whore For Alcazar

I love Kylie Minogue. Love her with a passion I normally reserve for sex and double chocolate cupcakes. If you read this blog even intermittently, you know this for a fact.

But if I could multiply Kylie by three, give her a cheesy wit, and make her Swedish, you would have my favorite trashy band in the world, Alcazar. Wondering who I'm talking about? If you're American, don't sweat it; despite five albums and a lengthy string of hits around the globe, the band has never had a disc released in the States. Probably, it's some combination of their bubblegum disco sound (which isn't the fashion of the day), their playful approach to music and sex (America is too uptight), and their openly gay vocalist Andreas (who is hotter than a box of fire).

But if you know your way around import sites or torrents, you'll be able to grab the band's latest confection, Disco Defenders. After a four-year break from recording, the trio (having dropped Andreas' ex-boyfriend, Magnus Carlsson, from the roster) has returned with a joyful, sugar-smacked slice of Europop. More fun than fellow Swede popsters ABBA, Alcazar isn't for everyone; kitschy trinkets like "Burning" or the new blazing cover of "Funkytown" spread the goo a little thick. The word "derivative" pops into the mind frequently, and the contemplative moments are few (although one track, "Baby," was written by the Pet Shop Boys), and the sophistication is all studio-tech wizardry.

But to be fair, this isn't music for quiet contemplation...it's a superlative dance record, built for activity, intensely focused on the listener's enjoyment. Release your inner snob, let go, and have a ball. Listening to the bubbling brook of synths under "My, My, Me and Mine" or the grungy smash of "Inhibitions," one can easily forget (as I did) that you're on the subway listening to an iPod. Dancing on the subway makes you look crazy and homeless, as I learned. But in an Alacazar World, I simply. Don't. Care.

Download: "Inhibitions"
Watch: "We Keep On Rockin'"
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

it's disco magnif! I love it :) It's a whirling ball of happiness in the economic doom. Just as delightful btw was the gaudy Priscilla Queen of the Desert the musical which i saw at the weekend. I thought of you and your hexcellent theatre write ups and wondered what you would make of it :)

3/17/09, 2:24 AM  
Blogger ZenDenizen said...

This just made my day! I need to get these new tunes in the unlikely event that I ever get sick of listening to Sexual Guarantee or Menage a Trois on my iPod! :)

3/17/09, 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home