2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, March 26, 2009


American Idolatry: Visiting Hitsville (And Living Up To The Reputation)

American Idol

I've decided that I'm going to wait to do more American Idol recaps until we get down to the serious contenders; I think we're two or three weeks away from that point. (Until then, my TV gurus, Tapeworthy and Low Resolution, are the recappers I'll be reading!) But last night's "Motown Night" deserves a quick mention, because it was clearly the most fantastic episode of the season. There were best-yet performances from Matt Giraud ("Let's Get It On"), Kris Allen ("How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You"), Anoop Desai ("Oooh Baby Baby") and especially Allison Ireheta ("Papa Was A Rolling Stone"), who has more natural ability than everyone else put together. Adam Lambert turned in a gentle acoustic version of "Tracks of My Tears" (dressed like a young Elvis, to boot!) that deservedly got the biggest applause of the evening, and even the wildly overpraised Danny Gokey was good. Pretty stunning two hours of television, all things considered.

On the weak side, I think the bottom three will be:

Scott MacIntyre ("You Can't Hurry Love")
Megan Joy ("For Once In My Life")
Michael Sarver ("Ain't Too Proud To Beg")

Sarver and McIntyre simply aren't up to par with the top six, and tonight's by-the-numbers performances exposed that once again. Joy (didn't she have a different last name last week?) simply had a bad night; the band started too slow, and the song didn't suit her Adele-like jazz alto. I'm guessing she'll say goodbye tomorrow night.

Your thoughts?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , ,


Blogger Vance said...

Thanks for the shoutout! Though funny cause I think it's the one week where we really disagree. I thought it was one of the most boring weeks ever with no one, save maybe Kris, Allison and Matt) doing justice on the great Motown songs. Everyone else just sounded... old. (I think I would have been more impressed with Adam were it not for something similar change-up on Canadian Idol).

3/26/09, 1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home