2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, February 01, 2009

 

Showtune Sunday: Melanie Griffith in "Chicago"



Each February, when a wave of Hollywood stars decide they'll take a sabbatical from the rigors of moviemaking with a limited-run in some Broadway show, theatre fans begin their annual descent into dread. Sure, A-listers ensure that tourists and casual theatregoers will pack into Times Square, eager to touch the golden fleece of celebrity. But it also means, with very few exceptions (Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Reba McEntire, etc.), their lack of stage training and live-performance experience will verge on the embarrasing.

As a visual example, please enjoy Melanie Griffith, who doddered her way through Chicago back in 2003. After the disastrous turns by Morgan Freeman, Frances McDormand and Clay Aiken last season, who will be the big turkeys of 2009? (My money's on James Gandolfini, who begins previews at the end of the month in God of Carnage.)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

OpenID XOC said...

Actually Clay Aiken got rave reviews and made Spamalot a lot of money in his 8 months on Broadway. Pick someone who was a disappointment like Daniel Radcliffe or Mario Lopez instead.

2/1/09, 3:10 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

Yeah, I agree. Often it's the tv and movie stars I'm excited about seeing who end up disappointing me. And it's the stage actors who end up blowing me away with their performances. Jeremy Piven did not impress me in "Speed the Plow" but I thought Raul Esparza was amazing, for example. Still, I'd love to see James Gandolfini. Hope springs eternal, as they say.

2/1/09, 4:01 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

XOC, I didn't say that star-whoring doesn't make money. I said they were disastrous stage performances, and as someone who witnessed the horror of Aiken onstage in Spamalot, I stand by my earlier statement. No stage training, don't come to Broadway.

2/1/09, 5:39 PM  
Blogger ladydisdain said...

SWEET JESUS. She looks like the crazy aunt someone pulled up onstage.

2/4/09, 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home