2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, February 02, 2009

 

Rent (The Way It Was Intended)

As a big-budget Hollywood movie, the musical Rent found few fans...unsurprisingly, considering that the material is fundamentally at odds with the extravagances of cinema. But thankfully, the final Broadway performances last fall were documented for DVD, and Rent: Filmed Live On Broadway captures what the movie couldn't: the propulsive score, the earthiness of the characters, and the electricity of live performance.

The DVD is available tomorrow...but for an early treat, try out the 8.5 minute preview of the opening number, now showing on Amazon. Some of the young cast is, frankly, unfamiliar to me.. But it makes my heart glad to see old friends like Michael McElroy (playing Collins) and Tracie Thoms (reprising Joanne after playing the role in the movie) in the clip. My copy is already on its way from Amazon.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger StinkyLulu said...

My comments on seeing this version on screen can be seen here.

2/2/09, 11:12 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Thanks for letting me know about this. I didn't know about it and I love the Broadway experience of RENT. Thanks!!!

2/2/09, 8:08 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Thanks for this ModFab...It's because of this performance that I will be buying a Blu-Ray player. I actually LOVE the movie too - with it's flaws and all.

2/3/09, 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home