2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, February 23, 2009

 

Oscar-ology: A Ceremony To Celebrate

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/oscarstatue.bmpThere are at least fifteen gajillion bloggers who will be writing about the Oscars today, and I'm going to do my best to avoid another tedious recapping and the they-waz-robbed bitchery you'll be drowning in over the next 24 hours. But for what it's worth, I really enjoyed the ceremony this year. The honoring of nominees by previous winners was powerfully touching and had a dignity I wasn't expecting. I also loved the page-to-screen unveiling of the categories...and when Jackman's performing musical numbers, I'm like a five-year-old clapping with glee.

Most importantly, though, the idea of a larger, "all together" sense of celebration and tribute -- creating thematic montages to celebrate the wide breadth of international cinema, making the Original Song nominees into a medley, having tribes of former winners welcome newcomers into their number -- imbued the ceremony with a sense of bounty, of flourish, underscoring the joy of moviegoing in a time where we need to remember the power of art more than ever. Good job, Academy.

Among my favorite moments:
- Dustin Lance Black's eloquent acceptance speech for the Original Screenplay of Milk, speaking to gay youth so beautifully;
- A.R. Rahman, the world's most magnificent film composer, finally getting his due from the Academy for Slumdog Millionaire

For the other winners, of course, there weren't too many surprises. I, for one, am glad to see the 2008 film year go...I'm hoping to be much more impressed by 2009. With only two weeks until Watchmen, my hopes are high! Academy Awards
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vance said...

"I'm like a five-year-old clapping with glee." Well said. Well said!

Such a great show this year and yah! Funny AND Classy! No shirtless Hugh Jackman but what can you do? He was still awesome!

2/23/09, 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home