2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, December 10, 2008


Why Oh Why Oh Why Oh...

A little post-script to the sad list of closings I posted yesterday: from The Playgoer comes word that SoHo's Ohio Theater, a bastion of experimental work, is being closed by its landlord. I'm heartbroken about it; the Ohio is my favorite theatrical space in New York City, a gorgeous, open, endlessly configurable home for mind-bending artists. It's also sad for me, because it's one of the few downtown spaces that I've never directed in (although a short play of mine was performed there about a decade ago), and I dreamed of doing so one day.

This, following on the heels of the closure of the 78th Street Theater Lab a couple of months back, signals that the homes for challenging theatrical art are dwindling...even in their American birthplace.

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home