2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, December 31, 2008



Brooklyn Botanic Gardenvia WikipediaMore than most years, I'm in a reflective mood as we end 2008...so reflective, in fact, that I probably won't get to my ModFabulous Films of '08 list until the weekend, in case you were waiting with bated breath.

2008, in retrospect, seems split right down the middle for me. Good things happened in the first half, not so much in the second half. Still:
  • Mr. ModFab and I bought our first home.
  • I lost 110 pounds.
  • My sister, who also happens to be my best friend, moved to New York. I now see her all the time. Which rocks.
  • New plays of mine premiered in NYC, New Mexico (which I visited for the first time!) and elsewhere.
  • After years of toiling in the artistic sticks of Manhattan, I finally made my directorial debut in Brooklyn. It was everything you imagine it to be.
  • I taught at my alma mater, and met a great new batch of fellow alumns. I lectured frequently for Theatrica (no website I can find), a training program for actors from Australia who want to work in New York.
  • I bought a new iPod after the last one was ripped from me.
  • I have a Wii. Merry Christmas to me!
On the bad side:
  • The economy has killed my industry and put my job in possible jeopardy. (Time to go to the theatre, people!)
  • A lot of the people in my birth family and in my family of friends are having health and weight-related issues.
  • Due to money getting tight and travel getting expensive, I had to cancel trips to Mexico, Atlanta, and Baltimore. Booooooo.
  • They canceled The Riches. They're closing the Ohio.
  • Some friends died. That gets harder every year.
So I think I'm ready, and even glad, for 2009...it's time for me, and this blog, and America, and the world to move into a new era, to shake off the economic and political crap and make something new. Resolution-wise, I'm going to lose another 100 pounds, produce and direct a magnificent new play or two, and make that trip to Mexico if it fucking kills me. There are three things I've never done, which I'm also going to make sure I do: see the cherry blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, attend the Fall For Dance Festival, and go to The Cloisters.

What have you got planned for 2009, you fabulous people?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , ,


Blogger par3182 said...

i resolve to attempt at least 10% of what you achieved in '08 - that's one impressive list

(although i can't believe you're cheating on me with other australians!)

1/1/09, 12:27 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I like to keep my resolutions simple and do-able:

1) stay employed.
2) stay employed.
3) stay employed.
4) Keep in better touch with my many online friends whom I've let fall by the wayside (you included)
5) Drink more water
6) Continue the journey towards a healthier mode of eating. Last year I stopped eating almost all white flour products, anything with high fructose corn syrup, and all processed foods. This year I tackle sugar. One step at a time, baby.
7) Finally get a handle on the clutter in this house!
8) Finish refacing my kitchen cabinets.
9) Donate more to good local causes. Last year I did mostly political donations. This year it's other good causes.
9) Stay healthy and alive!

1/1/09, 10:03 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

oooh, get Wii Play. It comes with another controller and the Find Mii game is quite a good competitive game to train the brain.

Happy New Year!

1/1/09, 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home