2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, December 12, 2008

 

My Best Friend Died

iPod classicvia FlickrMy iPod is gone. And I'm in mourning. On the way home last night, she vanished without a trace...gone, just disappeared, like a deadbeat ex-husband who's behind in alimony payments. But I'll never forget Graciela (2006-2008), and the countless hours of joy she brought me, never complaining once as I played Kylie over and over and over again. I'll miss her forever.

But love is fleeting...and like Dot in Sunday in the Park with George, I have to move on. Which is the reason for this post -- I have to get a new iPod, ASAP. What should I get? I need recommendations, people. I'm torn between getting another iPod Classic (which I loved...120GB of pure pleasure, the gas-guzzling SUV of music devices) and an iPod Touch (which is sexy and hot, with its touch-screeny goodness and all the luscious applications...but only 16GB, which feels like it only holds about 10 songs).

Your thoughts? Let me know in the comments.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Raj said...

Hey ModFab.

I feel for you man. That sucks.

You know I was indifferent about the touch, but after biting the bullet I must say - it's a rather cool device. If you don't mind managing your playlists more often for the touch, then it's worth it. I haven't looked back on my classic since...it just sits on the shelf collecting dust. I should auction it off - there are at least 110 Gig of some hot tunes on there...

EQ
http://zxlcreative.blogs.com/electroqueer

12/12/08, 12:21 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

My most heartfelt condolences, ModFab. I know just how you feel. I'm mourning the loss of my lovely 20 Gig iPod. Its little hard drive just gave out after four years. (I have a 2GB Nano that I'm using but it's not big enough.)

I'm leaning toward the 120GB Classic because it'll hold all of my music and podcasts. And I like to have everything with me when I'm in the car or at the gym. It just gives me more options, depending on my mood.

The Touch is cool but the capacity is so small. And I don't don't think I'd use it for mobile web-surfing because the keyboard is pretty tiny and hard to use.

If I had a long commute by train or spent a lot of time on public transportation, it might be more useful. Or if there were long stretches when I was away from a computer and couldn't check my e-mail.

But I'm hardly ever away from a computer for more than an hour or two. And I'll probably use it mostly for audio when I'm in the car or on the treadmill.

So my vote goes for the Classic.

12/12/08, 12:40 PM  
Blogger Vance said...

Mt 20 Gig iPod is dying (the battery life went from 12 hours to about 1 overnight) but Im stubborn and holding off for a new version of iTouch to come out that has a bigger capacity.

I probably wont go back to the classic since it still has mechanical parts while iTouch doesnt (and thus can take shaking (via walking, running etc) more) but yeah. 16 GB is too small at this point.

12/12/08, 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

You can still get 160 G iPod off Amazon. If I needed to replace mine that's what I would get. I want all my music portable as it seems do you.

12/12/08, 3:35 PM  
Blogger qta said...

I am so sorry for your loss... but now you can get an ipod touch!

12/12/08, 4:41 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Don't ask me, I'm a Creative Zen girl. But let this be a cautionary tale to those of you who thought you could ditch your CDs because you have an iPod. Hard disks crash. It's a fact of life.

12/12/08, 8:07 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Oh, the hard drive didn't crash. I actually lost it...or rather, it was lost for me. Long story.

And the good news is that I bought a portable drive for my music last year, so my entire inventory is safe. Whew!

12/12/08, 11:59 PM  
Blogger Sly said...

Think of it this way:

iPod Classic is your husband
iPod Touch is a lover on the side

Get both.

12/13/08, 9:21 PM  
Blogger David said...

I condole you, I have an ipod classic for long haul and use the ipod in my iphone for short haul.
D
pd the word verif for this comment was horni !

12/18/08, 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home