2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, December 22, 2008

 

I'm Genuinely Touched, But Fuck You.

LAKE FOREST, CA - AUGUST 16:  Presumptive Demo...GettyRick Warren loves me. Yes. Even me. Despite being on record saying that my marriage of 17 years is like incest and pedophilia, he loves me. And he says it with a smirk and with a heavy ironic tone, just to let me know how sincere he is about it all.

I say: if you love me, prove it. Love the TRUTH of me. Stop ducking the truth of my relationship with bullshit comparisons to polygamy, pedophilia, incest, and rape. Stop lying about the history of marriage; it didn't begin 5,000 years ago, and lots of cultures have defined it differently than you do.

If you love me, stop pretending that this is about a "definition" or "redefinition" of the word marriage, as if you care about the etymology of the English language. Respect me enough to admit that you think it's a sin, and you hate sin, and therefore hate the idea of gays being married and accepted and free. If you love me, admit the bigotry...maybe you don't hate us, but you do have faith-based bigotry about us. I'd love you, too, if you'd just be honest.

If you love me, Rick Warren, then prove it with actions, deeds that remind me of Christ and not of Mussolini. If you love me, Ricky, perhaps you can actually get off the high horse, come down here with the regular folk, and learn that saying "I love you" isn't nearly enough to overcome your damaging words and activities that have brought harm to LGBT people across the globe. If you love me, Rick Warren, you'll apologize for the deaths and the lies and the violence and the hate that you've tacitly given your approval to....and that got worse in the last week.

If you love me, Rick Warren...you'll stop.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger BGH said...

Another great post, ModFab. I completely agee. As always your blog is at the top of my daily list. There is an ACTUAL Christian giving the benediction at the inaugural. See this post: http://www.bilerico.com/2008/12/forget_rick_warren_joseph_lowery_is_the.php#more

12/22/08, 4:34 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Okay, this is my last contradictory comment, I promise.

You want him to love the "truth" of you? Really? Being gay, bisexual, lesbian whatever, is simply apart of who someone is. It's not "who" they are. Just like being right handed, blue-eyed, or tall.

Homosexuals that define who they are based on their sexuality are empty. They have no sustenance. They're oddly annoying and dull at the same time.

12/23/08, 1:40 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Jordan, I am straight and I am not as dense as you. And frankly, your talk of "homosexuals" and "defining themselves through their sexuality" strikes me as dogwhistling through the civil rights graveyard.

If sexual orientation is simply a part of who someone is (and I agree that this is so), then why is gay marriage, or any other way against which gay Americans are discriminated an issue at all? Why is this "simple part" of being gay not entitled to join in a spiritual and legal bond with the person they love the way I am? There IS no reason other than bigotry and homophobia and the fact that same-sex marriage doesn't allow the Christofascist Zombie Brigade to delude itself that marriage in the modern world is about reproduction.

I never wanted children. I have never been pregnant. I have never had an abortion. I am now 53 years old, no longer able to conceive if I wanted to, and Ihave been married for 22 years. If I had become pregnant, I would have terminated it because neither I nor my husband wanted children. And yet I am allowed to be married and Gabriel is not. Does that make any sense to you? It sure as hell doesn't to me. And yes, I'm going to hold myself up as the poster child for why marriage isn't just about reproduction for as long as it takes for this backward-ass country to change.

I myself am waiting for Rick Warren himself to get caught, Ted Haggard-style, with a male prostitute. You know damn well it's going to happen.

12/24/08, 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home