2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, December 19, 2008

 

Fill In The Blanks

I can't defend him. It's indefensible. You are the people you inaugurate associate with, and this is a heinous, terrible choice in that regard. It sells out all LGBT people and all women, in one mere stroke. And to suggest that we must "dialogue" with fundamentalist homophobes over their oppostion to equality, and respect their bigoted views, is ridiculous, shallow and shameful. Shall we also require Jews to respect and "dialogue" with Nazi war criminals? Shall African-Americans be asked to respect the viewpoint of slaveholders?

That's one way to see it.

Another is that he was never the liberal that the right wing made him out to be. He's a centrist and a moderate, and if you aren't aware of that fact by now, you're just not paying attention. (And shame on you for believing Fox News in the first place.) The truth is, he has a messianic view of himself as a bridge builder between the diametrically-opposed sides of this country. The truth: he's never been a big gay rights advocate, or women's advocate. The only one who was, truly, in his core and fiber, was Kucinich. And he didn't have a prayer. And so you (and I) didn't vote for him. We voted for this guy instead. Deal with it.

That's another way to see it.

Another is that it's a purely strategic political move. By having this bastard say a prayer over the inauguration -- a ceremonial role with no actual power, no governing ability -- he's swung a masterstroke of political manuevering, co-opting the entire Republican evangelical movement. He's invited the Devil to dinner. And the Devil will be impressed.

That's another way to see it.

Another is that our new President is a vicious homophobe and sexist, and he lied to us in the most stunning ruse in American history. (And a side collorary: white women and the LGBT community overwhelmingly supported Hillary in the primary. Perhaps this is payback.)

And here's one more. The only one that matters.

Our new President is not going to coddle ANY community...including ours. If we want equality, and if we want abortion to remain a legal option, we have to make it happen ourselves. And not depend upon any heterosexual male to do it for us.

Three small footnotes:
A) Yes, my heart is broken.
B) It'll mend.
C) I was considering attending the inauguration. Now, I most certainly will not. If I want to hear bigots, I can turn on my TV, or walk down any street in America. It's legal and acceptable to hate gays and to denigrate women. Some deluded fuckheads even think it's a religious imperative. No need to book a hotel and support a President's historic moment, when he has this little interest in supporting me.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

=hugging ModFab=

Now you know what my reservations were about Obama. It's this very "conciliatory" thing that only seems to go one way. The only way this makes sense is if he becomes a STRONG (and I mean strong in the sense of strongarming Congress to pass FEDERAL GLBT right laws) advocate for everything Warren hates. But somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Obama was ALWAYS thus. Remember, this guy was mentored by Holy Joe Lieberman in his first year in the Senate.

It is interesting, though, how the Republicans try to take care of their base, while Democrats spit on theirs.

(Heh. word verification is "marchic". Does that mean "sort of marching"? Sounds like Obama to a T.

12/19/08, 8:38 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Yes, I expected to eat a little crow from you, my friend...and from the Clintonistas who gave me a good workout last year during the primaries as well. It's despicable of course...but politically, if you step back from it, there are two important realities here.

1) It subverts the evangelical freakazoids, which will help Obama pass progressive stuff down the line.

2) Rick Warren is being given no ACTUAL power to do anything.

As long as I hold on to those two things, perhaps I can keep my breakfast down.

12/19/08, 9:45 AM  
Blogger TP said...

Well spoken. Especially "the only one that matters" part. Clearly there's a lot of anger about Warren being invited to the party; I can't decide if I'm more angry or irritated or annoyed or what. Still, it's not only unbecoming to just sit and simmer in our frustrations, it's unproductive too. And obviously, we DO need to get out there and work for our equality.

12/19/08, 12:59 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That's OK. My sister is still gloating over John Edwards. I just wish that making all Americans equal wasn't 'controversial.' Hell, I've known you almost a decade and I haven't caught Teh Gay yet. ;)

Though Rachel Maddow could make me rethink that. I lurve her.

12/19/08, 1:39 PM  
Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

i am less surprised than many of my friends because I never saw Obama as a messiah... only a smart politician.

But it is a bold and underlined reminder that the GLBT community is still considered second class even to the man who included us in his president-elect speech (which if I recall correctly was the first time right?)

that said and the part that really really hurts me is I was trying to convert my one log cabin repub friend over to Obama during the month leading up to the election over and over again and he kept telling me 'all of you are so deluded. He will turn on the gays so fast you're head will spin.'

and he turned out to be right.

and you know i hate saying that about a Republican.

12/20/08, 9:18 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

What pisses me off is this: homophobia is still a "social issue", while racism, for example, is a poison. That's not Obama's fault, per se. That's just the way the American political dialogue treats these issues. But this proves that he basically buys into these frames, and that's what's disappointing.

Really, there wouldn't be much wrong with this move if Prop 8 hadn't just passed. I think that was Obama's real miscalculation here. If it was indeed a miscalculation... it may well be that it was more of a, well, calculation, and he doesn't really care. But the point is, this isn't just reaching out to the loser. This guy just WON a major battle against us. And used Obama's name falsely to help him win. And now he's legitimizing those views, and tainting his own inauguration with this controversy. It just seems so unnecessary.

I just hope he uses the capital he gets from this stunt wisely. Cause he lost some with the gay community. I still love the guy, and I get that there are much more important problems right now than how to make gay people happy, but this hurts.

12/20/08, 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home