2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, July 11, 2008

 

Chasing Away The Broadway Blues

If you, like me, are completely distraught over the recently-announced closing of Broadway's Passing Strange on July 20th, perhaps these tidbits will cheer you up: Godspell will open at the Barrymore in September, Raúl Esparza is joining the revival of Speed-The-Plow, and come the fall, we may have a new musical about the Garden of Eden to make fun of. I can hear the score now...I imagine Jerry Herman-esque songs with titles like "Fig Leaf," "It's Only An Apple, Adam!" and "Raisin' Cain (Ain't Easy)." Pray that there will be a dream ballet, danced by the snake. On roller skates. Woo hoo!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Vancil said...

Thanks so much for your repeated praising of Passing Strange. I avoided it when it opened, thinking I wouldn't be able to relate (and I was put off by interviews with Stew where his aloofness came off a little arrogant).

But, when I read on your blog that it was closing I thought "Why not see it now before you see the Spike Lee movie of it and kick yourself."

So there I was in the 6th row at a Saturday matinee, surrounded by probably the most eclectic audience I've ever sat with at a Broadway show. The music was unbelievable, the performances amazing, but what really impressed me was that I didn't notice any of that till the next day when I was thinking about the show. I was so engrossed by the story, by every word Stew spoke, and by the nuggets of truth that were sprinkled throughout the show. I have to say I've never been as emotionally moved by a show as I was by this one. Tears were streaming down my face by the end, and it was all I could do to get myself home before I collapsed, an emotional wreck.

While I'm bummed that it's closing, I think it's amazing that a show this intelligent and real ever made it to Broadway in the first place. I just wish I had seen it earlier so that I could force all my friends to see it too.

7/13/08, 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home