2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, June 09, 2008


Sad News in Times Square

The musical center of Times Square, the Virgin Megastore, will close in early 2009. Very sad...although the store is merely a shadow of its former self these days, it's still an enormous presence for tourists and theatregoers, many of whom wait to buy their cast recordings until the requisite cast signing at the store.

And it's the only place in Times Square where you can kill half an hour before your show starts...unless you want to drown in the tourist swarms at Toys'R'Us or the Hershey Store. Ah well, the more things change, the more they stay the same suck.



Blogger Vance said...

That's EXACTLY where I go when I need to kill 30 min. before the show and usually after when I go check the cast recordings of something I just saw. So sad when I heard about this. Plus they always had a great Broadway selection and some good deals sometimes too. I only bought [title of show] cause it was $10 at the time even though I knew NOTHING about it at the time but I'm glad I discovered it because of the deal I saw when I passed through on day.

6/9/08, 10:36 PM  
Blogger Gil said...

shame. first the tower records, now this. the only place left for cast signings will be the barnes and noble at lincoln center now...

6/10/08, 10:45 AM  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Wonder how many times I've seen both you and Vance at Virgin while trying to kill time before a show. This closing was inevitable given their high profile closings in London and Chicago. Quite sad.

Maybe we can all congregate at Colony Records instead.

6/10/08, 11:32 AM  
Blogger Ready2Die said...

I have warm memories of browsing Virgin for hours back in the mid-90's. They used to have a slamming singles section, and you could just go from listening station to station, listening to each track.

Maybe it's my age, but there's something cold about browsing music on the web. I liked being with other people, the possibility of discovering something new, and of course the cruising.

I just wonder what's going to go in that space. I have a sinking feeling it's going to be Target or Walmart.

6/10/08, 2:47 PM  
Blogger par3182 said...

has "the new times square" really been around long enough to wax nostalgic?

where was the outcry when the gaiety closed?

6/10/08, 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home