2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, June 20, 2008


Blood on Broadway

The Tonys giveth (In The Heights) and the Tonys taketh away...as I predicted, Cry-Baby will close on Sunday, and A Catered Affair will follow on July 27th. I expect that Xanadu and Passing Strange will hold on a bit longer, but not for long...neither has the box office to last beyond the end of summer.

But take heart, theatre fans...all is not lost. For today Chris at Everything I Know I Learned From Musicals brings us great news...

Stockard Channing is returning to Broadway.

Stockard Channing. Wow! One of the undisputed great stage actresses of the last fifty years.

A dream for any serious theatre lover. And in Pal Joey, to boot...her first Broadway musical since replacing Liza Minnelli in The Rink, twenty-five years ago. As if the new season wasn't already exciting enough!

And God help me, I couldn't help getting excited by this picture, from this summer's Damn Yankees at City Center...

HOT. (Yes, I mean Cheyenne.) But also HOT for Randy Graff (City of Angels, A Class Act, Fiddler on the Roof), one of my favorite goddesses of all time. And for Jane Krakowski, who is overdue for a stage return. And for Sean Hayes, who I hope doesn't annoy the crap out of me.

I'll miss Catered Affair...but the great thing about theatre is that there will always be shiny, beautiful new baubles to love. And if you're lucky, some of them will star Stockard Friggin' Channing.

Labels: ,


Blogger Esther said...

Thanks ModFab. I'll miss A Catered Affair, too, but you're right, there's a lot to look forward to in the new season. I'm just glad I had an introduction to John Bucchino's gorgeous music and I got to see the legendary Harvey Fierstein on stage. I even kind of liked his voice in "Coney Island."

6/20/08, 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home