2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, May 15, 2008

 

The Nearest Book Meme

When The Film Experience tags you for a meme, you damned well better do it...so here goes...
  1. Pick up the nearest book.
  2. Open to page 123.
  3. Locate the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...
  5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.
The only book within arms reach of this desk at the moment is the Hugo and Nebula-winning novel Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which I was determined to re-read a few weeks ago (the first time since high school, I think):
She did not let her parents know, and above all never hinted to Peter how often she thought about Ender, how often she wrote him letters that she knew he would not answer. And when Mother and Father had announced to them that they were leaving the city to move to North Carolina, of all places, Valentine knew that they never expected to see Ender again. They were leaving the only place where he knew to find them.
Ender's Game is a classic of science fiction, but it's not one of my personal favorites; I'm more of a Rendezvous with Rama, Dune, Chung Kuo, Hyperion, Parable of the Sower guy...I only enjoy sci-fi in a larger social context of modern day issues. (Hence my fascination with a certain Battlestar, which by the by, had the best episode of its four-season run last week. Wow. Mind blown.) The "Ender" novels are interesting, but a little adolescent...as stories about children should be, I guess. I see a parallel to Harry Potter in them, all that rite of passage into adulthood stuff. Can't you see how stupid I am about books?

So I'm tagging smarter people than myself: My Cabinet of Distractions, A Strange Interlude, Stinkylulu, My Grey Garden, and Low Resolution.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

This will be fun, the closest book to me right now is They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads From the LONDON REVIEW OF BOOKS.

And...uh...I am honored to be in such good company!

5/15/08, 9:23 AM  
Blogger Youffraita said...

Have you read "Consider Phlebas" by Iain Banks? He's done a bunch more in the same universe since that was published, but it remains a terrific read, IMHO.

5/15/08, 6:05 PM  
Blogger CA said...

Wow..you are the first person I know to have read Rama...and Hyperion..that and the Fall of Hyperion were so good!

5/15/08, 9:49 PM  
Blogger Barry Rowell said...

I really wish I'd been sitting at my desk... you'll see when you read my post on astrangeinterlude....

5/16/08, 12:13 AM  
Blogger jason said...

I remember reading Ender's Game too....so far back that I've practically forgotten it. Maybe I should look it up again.

5/17/08, 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home