2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, May 08, 2008

 

Au Revoir, Idol: Jason Castro

As American Idol historians know all too well, the Final Four week has been surprisingly lethal to talent: Chris Daughtry exited early at this point a few seasons back, and in the first year Tamyra Gray (really the only competition to La Clarkson) bit the dust. This makes last night's eviction all the more sweet, because it was a victory of substance over style; Syesha Mercado, whatever her strengths or weaknesses, deserved to stay. And Jason Castro deserved to go.

For his part, Jason -- the undisputed Sanjaya of this season -- seemed downright thrilled to be evicted; grinning from ear to ear after Seacrest lowered the boom, Jason was as energized as he's ever been. I'm sure that the Idol producers won't appreciate his barely-concealed glee at leaving....the mythology of the show depends upon it being the chance of a lifetime, the dream of dreams. To see a Final Four contestant so glad to be rid of the burden underscores the show's creative and artistic slide. At least next week, with one of the strongest Top Threes in year -- all of whom seem to want the big prize, at least publicly -- they shouldn't face the same problem.

The Final Sendoff: Jason Castro, "I Shot The Sheriff"
Previous American Idolatry: Yoko Ono, Where Art Thou?, Au Revoir Amanda, God Bless Idol Country, Au Revoir Chikezie, Giving What Back, Exactly?, Idol Gave Back (And I'm Friggin' Exhausted), Au Revoir Michael Johns, David Archuleta Is Like Sarah Brightman In Drag, Au Revoir Carly Smithson, Songs Sung Really, Really Blue, Au Revoir Brooke White, The Heart of Rock 'N' Roll Is...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I actually really like Castro. Weak voice, sure, but that's a bit beside the point for me. He's got something. Maybe the only one (Carly/Brooke aside) that I'd enthusiastically go see perform.

This is the first season I've ever watched, but I do know that Archuleta is exactly what has kept me from this show in the past - the idea that the top contenders have these really good voices but are utterly vanilla in their execution. This entire season, with the exception of his performance of "Imagine", I've felt like I've been stuck in The Emperor's New Clothes. Christ, even Kristy Lee Cook started piquing my interest more than this kid at the end of her run.

Anyway, at this late stage, I'd rank the Top 12 like this:

1. Jason Castro
2. Carly Smithson
3. Brooke White
4. Syesha Mercado
5. David Cook
6. Michael Johns
7. Amanda Overmyer
8. Kristy Lee Cook
9. David Archuleta
10. Ramiele Malubay
11. Chikezie
12. David Hernandez

And, really, Asia'h Epperson should have been in here... she had fire.

Anways - my poorly articulated/consensus-bucking thoughts.

5/8/08, 12:54 AM  
Blogger gabrieloak said...

I agree with Stephen. Castro was an entertaining fellow with some talent but he was mistreated by Simon and Randy who much prefer the boring David A because he will be so easy to order around when his CD is released. I also agree with his top six though I would put them in slightly different order, with Michael, Carly, Brooke and David near the top followed by Jason and Syesha.

5/8/08, 1:30 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

I think if one is willing to overlook his vocal weakness, Jason might be an interesting presence. Kind of like (and I don't mean this as the insult it may sound like) Paris Hilton. He's cute, occasionally funny, a little adorably dumb, and down to earth.

BUT.

If you do think vocal ability is important in a musician, then he's a disaster. He forgot the words to his songs not once, but TWICE. He can't hold a note for more than a four count, because he has no breath support. He has no dexterity, no showmanship in his voice. And after being widely quoting about not rehearsing very much (or TRYING to get better), I can't see any reason he should rank above anyone else in the top 24.

5/8/08, 9:57 AM  
Blogger lylee said...

I came around to liking Jason - certainly I liked him a lot more by the end than I did in the beginning. I too was put off by the fact that he had indisputably the weakest voice in the competition. But I do think he has *something*, and I don't think he's as dumb/spacey as he comes across. He's just sort of operating at his own wavelength, and isn't trying to change that for the TV. It's kind of endearing, actually.

Also, I'm a little puzzled at how the judges went from praising him to totally tearing him down, when really, I think nearly all of his performances were at about the same level. (All right, "Memory" was pretty painful, but he was also sick that week.)

It was definitely his time to go, but the show will definitely lose a good chunk of its entertainment value without him.

That said, onward and upward, and David Cook for the win!!

5/8/08, 3:58 PM  
Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

finally some justice.

5/8/08, 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home