2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Tuesday, May 06, 2008


Addiction Extra: Steve, Broadway, Glory, and Billy

What a pleasure: on Saturday, I had the unqualified thrill of meeting one of my favorite bloggers, Steve on Broadway, in person. As you'd probably expect, Steve is charming, erudite, and incredibly smart, with a wicked sense of humor to boot. It's great to meet someone as passionate and insightful about theatre as he is; I'm guessing that most of you read him already, but if you don't, start now.

So...that was the good news. The bad news is that Steve and I met at Glory Days, the woefully misguided new musical at Circle in the Square. It's a complete mystery to me how it got produced on Broadway in the first place; it lacks anything approaching a story, its characters are cookie-cutter obvious, and the score is tuneless pop-rock. (When one song in the middle of the show began, I thought it was a reprise of the song before it...but no, they just sounded exactly alike.) Glory Days' single turning point -- a misguided coming-out scene that results in some very implausible responses -- is so poorly plotted that even gays will sigh at its heavy-handedness and faux outrage. I'm sure that the 23-year-old creators of this musical are talented, but they're too young to have the life experience necessary for this kind of reflection. I'd be surprised if it makes it to Memorial Day.

On to better news, and better musicals: your humble editor was lucky enough to attend that private preview of Billy Elliot two weeks ago, and I must say it was pretty damn fabulous. (You can view pics here.) Over the course of a 60 minute presentation -- including a song performed by Elton John, not 20 feet from me! -- I got to see all three boys who will play Billy (it's triple-cast!) sing, dance, and act...a rare treat, since they'll never be in the show together. And although Trent Kowalik (left) has a charming presence and Kiril Kulish (right) is a superb dancer (and serious F.I.T.), the Billy performance I want to see most next fall will be led by David Alvarez (center), who struck me as the standout on all counts. A star, as they say, is born.

Harry Connick, Jr., To Star in Broadway's Nice Work If You Can Get It
Lortel Awards Choose Adding Machine, Betrayed, More...
ModFab Boyfriend Cheyenne Jackson Will Be Joe Hardy in Encores' Damn Yankees!
Patinkin To Play Prospero Off-Broadway
Kiss of the Spider Woman, the Play, Heads To Broadway
Lauren Ambrose, Sam Waterston join Stuhlbarg, Braugher in Hamlet

Labels: , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home