2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

 

Rough Week Ahead

Sorry about the lack of American Idol-age today, everyone...I didn't see last night's episode. I saw Patrick Stewart in Macbeth instead, which you have to admit is a pretty fair trade up. There probably will be light postings throughout the week, as I face an onslaught of Broadway (A Catered Affair and Passing Strange today and tomorrow, The Country Girl on Friday, From Up Here and God's Ear on Saturday, and Les Liaisons Dangereuses and Top Girls on Sunday). I promise to get back to bloghorrea as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please use the comments to catch me up on Idol. Who did well, who did terribly, and who's going home?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger will g said...

Oh dear, and Idol Gives Back exhausted you? Remeember, hydrate.

4/16/08, 12:48 AM  
Blogger PoliVamp said...

Surprisingly strong night, in my opinion.

I'd rank them as follows:

David Cook
Kristy Lee Cook (I know, crazy)
Jason Castro (Seriously, tonight was good to the lower tier)
Syesha Mercado
Brooke White
Carly Smithson
David Archuleta

Bottom 3 will most likely be Syesha, Brooke, and Carly, wish Brooke going home to piss me off. However, Carly and Syesha are also game.

4/16/08, 2:07 AM  
Blogger Nick Davis said...

Well, it was Mimi, so it was all great. Or, the song selection was more interesting than I was expecting ("Vanishing"! "Forever"! Kristy Lee didn't go with the Christmas song!), but - no shocker - David Cook was the standout.

4/16/08, 3:50 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I was very disappointed with the choices of Mariah songs - couldn't they have been a little more adventurous. The normally adorable David A was rancid with his Leon Jackson-esque cover of When You Believe, which wasn't exactly Mariah's proudest moment in 1998 let alone 10 years later. There were much more exciting disco-y songs he could've done (So Cold, Make It Happen, Touch My Body!!) - i wasn't impressed with any of the choices. What a cock block of an episode. Stick with MacBeth

4/16/08, 9:56 AM  
Blogger Johnna Adams said...

This is the first episode of AI I have watched since audition round, so everyone is new to me. I have been leaving in a cave since then-- or at least kept myself better occupied until last night. I have never seen any of them perform before, and I would have ranked them:

Kristy Lee Cook (Everyone seems to hate her, but she clearly the best one last night)
David Cook (he was good but I would never listen to this cover again)
Syesha Mercado
Carly Smithson
Jason Castro
Brooke White
David Archuleta (this is supposed to be some sort of wonderkid? He was AWFUL. I was embarassed for him and the show).

I wasn't intrigued enough to watch again. It doesn't seem like an especially strong year. I didn't think anyone really had star power-- although Kristy would fine as another minor county singer on the radio.

4/16/08, 1:53 PM  
Blogger will g said...

Just an additional un-Idolish thought (don't kill me): How about a ten-word review each night, if you could manage it? Again, just a thought. . .(stop glaring at me!)

4/17/08, 1:40 AM  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Enjoy all that theatre. Hope I haven't built Passing Strange up too much, but I really love that show.

4/17/08, 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home