2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, April 07, 2008

 

My New Broadway Boyfriend: Paolo Szot

While I will always be betrothed, on some elemental level, to my one true love Cheyenne Jackson, yesterday I happened to meet a new man, a real man, a strong man...a baritone. I wasn't expecting to; when I walked into the lobby of Lincoln Center yesterday to catch a matinee of South Pacific, romance was the furthest thing from my mind.

But then, there, coming over the Polynesian dunes, singing about enchanted evenings was Paolo Szot, the Brazilian opera star playing French expat Emile De Bec in the current revival. My breath stopped. Here was a leading man in the old Howard Keel tradition, a soaring voice on a masculine guy, a romantic lead with a serious crush on Kelli O'Hara...who was also singing beautifully, so I'll forgive him (but not her).

After the show, I went backstage to meet a friend of mine in the cast...and perhaps, fleetingly, to catch a glimpse of my latest stage crush. Suddenly, between the dressing rooms and the costume racks...there he was! My friend ushered Paolo over, and he shook my hand, unaware that I had silently orgasmed. He asked how I was, and what I thought of the show. As I had momentarily lost the power of speech, however, I simply grinned at him like a psychotic baboon. (For the record, South Pacific's good, not great, the music is awesome, the staging is rich but uninspired. The best turn comes from Danny Burstein as Billis, who brings much-needed energy to every scene. And buy that cast recording when it comes out, because this is going to sound beautiful on CD.)

Back to Paolo. We chatted, but all too soon he turned to go...but not before locking eyes with mine and thanking me, deeply, gratefully, soulfully, for coming to the show. I tried to yell out, "I Will Be Your Babymama", but he was already moving down the hall. And like that (poof)...he was gone.

But he will be mine. Oh yes, he will be mine. I'm a Broadway stalker from way back, bitches. (And I will fight you for him, Chris. I love you like the theatre sister I never met, but...watch out.) The pictures above don't begin to do him justice...he's much younger than the stage makeup implies, and far less rugged. But I don't care what he's wearing, really...Bali H'ai is calling my name, and on some enchanted evening soon, Paolo will definitely see this stranger across a crowded room, if you know what I'm saying, and I think you do.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger will g said...

How dare you avoid the obvious and not say, "And suddenly there he was, across a crowded room. . . " This is no time for taste! Welcome back.

4/7/08, 1:06 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

He's a looker! Resembles Clive Owen a bit.

4/7/08, 9:14 AM  
Blogger Chris Caggiano said...

You wanna a piece of this? Because I will throw down with you...

Glad to hear we share obsessions, but I'm also glad that you're not gag over this production like most of the media and our fellow bloggers. I simply don't get it.

Regards,

Chris

4/8/08, 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home