2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, April 17, 2008

 

Idol, Au Revoir: Kristy Lee Flagwaver

There is a God, and apparently, He is a communist. Because on American Idol last night, the skies parted, the angels sang, and Kristy Lee Cook -- whose blatantly calculated performances of patriotic and Christian-themed songs had kept her around long after her talent had been outclassed -- finally went home.

What will I miss most about Kristy? Her plasticene, fembot-ish smile? Her incomprehensible fashion choices? Her ravaged split ends? There's so much I wish we could continue to skewer her for, but like all Sanjayas, her time has come, and so we must say goodbye. Don't cry for her, Argentina...or any other country, for that matter. I'd be surprised if she doesn't have a record deal by the weekend. Watch out Nashville, here comes Kristy!

The Final Sendoff: Kristy Lee Cook, "God Bless The U.S.A."
Previous American Idolatry: Yoko Ono, Where Art Thou?, Au Revoir Amanda, God Bless Idol Country, Au Revoir Chikezie, Giving What Back, Exactly?, Idol Gave Back (And I'm Friggin' Exhausted), Au Revoir Michael Johns

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick Davis said...

Well, I wouldn't want to break my back or even chip my nail defending Kristy Lee (especially having only seen this one episode of Idol all the way through), but this seems like reverse Oscar syndrome: instead of rewarding a favorite for the wrong performance, you finally oust a punter during a week she didn't deserve it. At the very least, Brooke and Carly should have been more vulnerable, and I think Kristy outperformed David Archuleta and Jason Castro, too.

4/17/08, 2:20 AM  
Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

While, not exactly my favorite, I have to agree with Nick. It wasn't her time to go. Brook's turn is long overdue. Whether it's her painful rendition of "You've Got A Friend" or her bloodied take on "Hero" (one of my favorite Mariah tunes), this Carole King/Tori Amos, 'I'm so cool I play the piano barefoot' persona thingy just ain't working. Ultimately, it's going to come down between David vs. David. Can't we just skip the inbetweenies and get right to it?

4/18/08, 6:59 AM  
Blogger StinkyLulu said...

I'd have to agree with Nick.
This week was perhaps the first week when I wasn't fundamentally offended by KLC. (Hey - perhaps that's another angle for her - KLC for KFC!)

4/18/08, 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home