2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Duffy's "Warwick Avenue"

The extremely minimalist new video for Duffy's new single (and my favorite song on the album) "Warwick Avenue" hit the web last week, and I'm completely blown away by it. Really more of a Bergman-esque short than a video. And Lord, when that tear starts to form in her eye in the *middle* of the long shot, I saw the song in a whole new way. Your thoughts?

Labels: ,


Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

Absolutely love Duffy! This has got to be one of my favs right now. The comparisons to Amy Winehouse are unwarranted. While Amy's music dabbled in sixties girl groups (Motown), Duffy's sound lends itself more to artists like Connie Francis and Dusty Springfield. For those that haven't heard "Rockferry" yet...run, don't walk. You won't be disappointed.

4/29/08, 10:34 AM  
Blogger Cal said...

Wow, yeah. I see we're you're coming from. I've heard the song a few times before but that's the first time I've seen the video.

It's really natural and genuine, and I love that bit on "lately" where her voice seems to crack. It's almost as if this is the first time she heard the recording of her song. I feel as if I'm intruding by watching it.

4/29/08, 11:02 AM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

How have you heard the new album? On import?

4/29/08, 9:50 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

this is one of my favourite songs from the album and i think the video is perfect for it, despite what popjustice snarkily says about it! Distant Dreamer is utterly gorgeous too and I am eager to have that released as a single :)

4/30/08, 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home