2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, April 24, 2008

 

The Cannes Lineup

It makes me giddy all over: new films seen for the very first time by the Dardenne brothers, Eastwood, Desplechin, Egoyan, Charlie Kaufman, Steven Soderbergh, Philippe Garrel, Wim Wenders, Antonio Campos, Michel Gondry, Emir Kusturica...and for a little Hollywood glitz, the premiere of Indiana Jones 4. If I could afford to go to France every year, I would. As it is, I have to sigh from here and wish I were cool enough to stroll along the Croisette.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger will g said...

Cannes is where it's at, that's for sure. Maybe bloggers will be flown there one day soon.

I hate it when there's a director's name I don't recognize and should, so I went and IMDB'd Antonio Campos, and the only one there is dead. Then I see you chose his name from the out-of-competition section and it's his first film. Really curious why you chose to list him. (And I'm not being snarky here, I am genuinely curious!)

4/24/08, 12:33 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

You? Snarky? Why would anyone ever think that, Will? ;-)

Campos has been talked about a bit on some blogs I read...I don't know that I'd call it "buzz", per se, but it's been enough for me to get excited when I saw his name. Cannes is a big recognition for an emerging director, and I was glad to see it. (And by the by...just because IMDB says he only has one film doesn't necessarily mean that's the truth. IMDB is a great resource, but it's not definitive, nor is it perfect. Like Wikipedia, I use it, then take the requisite grain of salt.)

4/24/08, 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home