2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, March 09, 2008

 

On Behaving Badly

Thank you to all the Hillary Clinton fans out there who continue, week in and week out, to send me hate mail about how terrible I (and Obama, and his sexist supporters, and all young people, and especially African-Americans, etc.) are to your favorite leading lady. I'd love to say that I hate Hillary, but I don't. I DO, however, think that her martyr shtick has worn very thin. I DO think she's got NBC and MSNBC in her pocket. (After three Obama-bashing weeks in a row, Saturday Night Live is clearly on Clinton's payroll). I DO think she is increasingly proving that she is ethically unfit to lead the country or the party. And I DO think I have a responsibility to share my opinion and view, because I'm a citizen of the world and debate is a good thing. So to all of the Obama haters and/or Hillary fans out there: you want equal time to promote her, by all means...get your own blog.

Brilliant at Breakfast encapsulates Clinton's rash of bad behavior much more succinctly than I do (because B@B is, as always, a political goddess):
Hillary Clinton may yet be able to wrest the Democratic nomination away from Barack Obama. But if she does, she's going to find it a pyrrhic victory indeed. Because there's nothing about her tactics this last week, from the "As far as I know..." response to whether Barack Obama is a Muslim, to likening Barack Obama's tax return challenge to Ken Starr, that is even remotely about change. The kids who fill sports arenas for Obama's rallies are not going to come out for Hillary Clinton. The press is already winding up for a return to the All Clinton Scandals -- All the Time News Network as Tweety and Brian Williams pleasure themselves under the desk while waxing rhapsodic about John McCain as some kind of warrior-poet.

Gary Hart is 100% correct: "By saying that only she and John McCain are qualified to lead the country, particularly in times of crisis, Hillary Clinton has broken that rule, severely damaged the Democratic candidate who may well be the party's nominee, and, perhaps most ominously, revealed the unlimited lengths to which she will go to achieve power. She has essentially said that the Democratic party deserves to lose unless it nominates her."
This is a skewed view of the race, admittedly, and it's fair to criticize that. I don't think Hillary's the devil incarnate. But the way she's campaigning IS being seen by Obama voters, and boy, her statement about McCain being a better choice than Obama was downright nefarious. As she continues to utilize red-phone ads, her husband's prejudices, and Islamophobia to disaparage Obama, it becomes increasingly dubious to expect his supporters to rally to her if she's the nominee. I'll vote for her, of course...because I know the real enemy is the warmonger John McCain. But I can certainly see how most Obama supporters might refuse to kiss up to the woman who keeps slapping them so unfairly.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger The Slabber said...

I could not agree with you more completely. Hillary continues to display herself as the unprincipled, old-style politician that we've already endured, to ruinous effect, in the guise of Karl Rove. She and her destructive goons (Wolfson, Icke) have poven themselves totally untrustworthy, ethically unfit, and undeserving of of our respect. And, to carry that further, Hillary is undeserving of our vote. To that end, I think it is necessary to reconsider, very seriously, if it were to come down to a choice between McCain and yet another slick, manipulative Clinton this November, who indeed we would vote for. Fool me once with one Clinton (for eight years), shame on you. Fool me twice with yet another Clinton, shame on me. Either way, if Hillary keeps up her shameful, win-at-any-cost steamrolling, then neither she nor Obama will be measuring for drapes in the Oval Office. And we will, indeed, hold it against her.

3/9/08, 1:11 AM  
Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

FWIW, as a Hillary supporter I do have to say I'm finding her behavior this past week very distasteful too.

and i wonder how we can recover from this?

But worst of all is the press ---they've really made such a terrible mess of every election, from treating Bush with kid gloves at the beginning to their blatant sexism towards Hillary (whatever one feels about what's happening these past two weeks it's pretty clear that they had it in for her and had a hard on for Obama up until very recently.

I wish the press would stop controlling and creating the drama and just start reporting.

grrrr

3/9/08, 10:30 AM  
Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

ok... can i take back my earlier Clinton misgivings in light of the slabber's vitriol?

It's not rational thinking to claim that what we endured during hte Clinton years (prosperity, live and let live mentality, and some shady governmental quirks) is the same as what we've been living with under Bush and will live under McCain (economic problems, a judgmental divided nation, and shady warmongering aggression)

I mean. come on.

Obama is not a god.
Hillary is not the devil.

Both sides need to stop this insanity.

3/9/08, 2:29 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

For the first time in this election, I find myself agreeing with Nathaniel. :-) I understand and respect Slabber's rage, but it's insanity to consider a McCain vote, under ANY circumstances. There isn't a more reprehensible pro-war figure in the world at this moment, and on the economy, civil rights, the environment, health care, etc., McCain is a walking disaster.

But Slabber is coming from a totally understandable place. Nathaniel is right that Obama is not a God, and Hillary is not the devil. But Hillary has been noticeably closer to devildom in the last week than Obama, and rage like Slabber's has to be understood in that context.

Hillary plays very dirty...dirtier in the last few weeks than Obama ever has, and perhaps even dirtier than many Republicans do. Taking the emotion out of it, the end result is not putting her in a good place. It is detrimental to her efforts, and detrimental to the party. She thinks she's winning...but the truth is, it's only ensuring President McCain in 2008.

3/9/08, 8:59 PM  
Blogger Powell/APJ said...

Im tired of her manipulation of the media. This whole Saturday Night Live thing and the about-face of the media are like the whole Nancy Kerrigan-take them out with the knees nightmare. I just wish the media would report on what was said- and take their whole commentary out of it. Isnt that what news is supposed to be? I know it's gotta be difficult, but come on!


The thing that blew my gasket this week was when she completely negated Obama's credentials- going as far as to say that John McCain has better experience etc to be president. It's like she is a possessed woman who will stop at nothing until she and Bill are back in the Whitehouse.

Clinton needs to be muzzled. Otherwise- its gonna split the democratic party in half. For a while- I had told myself that I'd vote for her if she were to get the ticket. Now I'm having SERIOUS second thoughts. ( and no that doesn't mean I'd EVER vote for McCain)

3/10/08, 12:17 AM  
OpenID ccopeland1976 said...

As a Democrat, I want the strongest candidate to be a nominee. If Obama cannot withstand semi-tough attacks and questions from his fellow Democrats, what chance does he have against Republicans? They are not likely to give up the White House without a bloody fight. They aren't going to say, "you know what? you're right, Obama." merely because he appeals to the best in people. They'll do anything and everything to take him down. He doesn't seem to handle attacks well, at all.

While I firmly pledge to support Obama should he be our nominee, I keep wondering how he will bring Republicans and Democrats together when, so far, he can't bring the Democratic party together.

I want a democratic ass in the chair behind the desk in the Oval Office next year. This past couple of weeks makes me worry that Obama would not beat McCain. Not to say that I'm certain whether Clinton can beat McCain, either.

3/10/08, 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home