2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Saturday, March 22, 2008

 

ModMusic: Duffy

With the glut of Amy Winehouse wannabes hitting the airwaves these days -- some good, some bad, among them Lily Allen, Kate Nash, Lucky Soul, Adele, Gabriella Cimli, etc. - you may be done with soulful British lasses. But I urge you to give one more a listen: Duffy, whose impressively tuneful album Rockferry was recently released in the UK and comes out next month in the U.S. I don't think she's the second coming of Winehouse; she is neither as innovative nor as difficult, and she'll probably get pigeonholed as a modern Dusty Springfield. But the deeper reality is that she's an incredibly magnetic performer, with tunes that ache with feeling amidst their timeless pop sensibilities. Favorite album of 2008 so far? Hands down.

Credit ex-Suede guitarist Bernard Butler for much of Rockferry's success. He shepherded the disc and the singer's sound, creating a disc that adheres together like the classics of decades gone by (as opposed to a batch of singles stitched together by an album cover). It took me three days to quit singing the Norah Jones-ish "Warwick Avenue" over and over...and the only thing that stopped me was my addiction to "Mercy," the fierce first single. Catchy isn't really the right term for Duffy; it's a soulfulness that harkens back to Gladys Knight and beyond, a sense of both here and then that is utterly, utterly sublime.

P.S. -- I severely dig one of Duffy's non-album tracks working around the web these days, "Breaking My Own Heart." Beautiful.

Watch Some Videos:
"Rockferry", Duffy
"Mercy", Duffy
"Syrup and Honey", Duffy
"Warwick Avenue (Live)", Duffy
Download (For One Week):
"Warwick Avenue", Duffy
"Stepping Stone", Duffy
Visit: Site, MySpace, Wikipedia, Elbo.ws, iTunes
Then Pre-Order: Rockferry, Duffy

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

It is a truly great album, get it ! David

3/22/08, 6:33 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Duffster is definitely the best of the bunch. Her album is pretty solid all the way through and has some great moments on it. Clearly England loves her :)

3/22/08, 6:49 AM  
Blogger joe*to*hell said...

i dunno if lily allen was an amy wannabe. they are very different. i think kate nash is a lily wanna-be, tho for sure.

i like duffy - she is a bit different than the rest of them. thank god for the brit chicks.

3/22/08, 10:07 AM  
Blogger Cal said...

I was in the car a couple of months ago and they played "Rockferry" and I was blown away. I love it so much. I wasn't that into "Mercy" but it's growing on me. A massive hit here.

She does have that Dusty Springfield sound that lingers with you.

3/22/08, 10:37 AM  
Blogger will g said...

This is the first place I heard the words "Amy Winehouse" utttered, so I'm certainly not complaining, but I think it's become clear you have a certain fondness for Limeys. Is this true, and if so, what's up with that?

3/23/08, 10:44 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

I don't know that I love them more than any other country of English-speaking artists...for instance, I'm really grooving on the new Cut Copy disc, and they're Australian. But if I show a fondness for British artists at all, I'd chalk it up to three things: I'm a child of the 80's New Wave Invasion, I read a lot of British music blogs, and the current state of American pop music is dreadful.

3/23/08, 11:16 AM  
Blogger Adem With An E said...

Glad to hear you're liking the Cut Copy disc... it's my one to beat for the year so far I think.

How GORGEOUS is "Distant Dreamer" from the Duffy CD? I howled like a baby the first time I heard it.

3/23/08, 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home