2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Saturday, March 08, 2008

 

Janet's "Rock With U"

I find the low-tech new video for "Rock With U" -- my favorite Janet Jackson single in quite some time (which, admittedly, is grading on a very low curve) -- to be endlessly fascinating, from a career perspective. Dispensing with the computer-amplified videos that have dominated her work for the last few years, Janet goes back to basics here: traditional lighting effects, a midtempo groove, and a bevy of dancers doing complex choreography. It's sexy and a little retro (the makeup and hair -- it's 1988 all over again!), and it uses interesting tricks like simulating an extended one-take through the room. Long story short, I like it very much...mostly because it reminds me of old-school Janet. Your thoughts?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

Well alright! Miss Jackson, Janet if ur NASTY kickin' it old skool...You're absolutely right about the video and song for that matter. The whole one shot technique works, and the dancing is stellar. Definitely a low-tech eighties vibe going on here. Then again, like Madonna, she keeps a pulse on trends and a good deal of the songs coming out these days are going the low-tech route. Wait for the tour she's got planned. Like Madge, she's a workhorse...should be spectacular! A+

3/8/08, 4:01 PM  
Blogger will g said...

What do you mean, simulated? It looked like an actual single take to me, similar to an elaborate one-take production she did a long time ago (what song was that?). Surprised you didn't mention/notice the momentary man-on-man action. As for the song, zzzzz.

3/8/08, 4:45 PM  
Blogger jason said...

Better than her current single.
I like it!

3/8/08, 6:42 PM  
Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

"When I Think Of You" was the song you're probably thinking about.

3/9/08, 11:52 AM  
Blogger will g said...

Keith -- You're right. Now can you remember who the director was on that (someone of note, I believe) and do you know who directed this one?

3/9/08, 6:25 PM  
OpenID bombboy76 said...

The video is multiple takes. the cuts happen when she goes into the dark room and the lights go dark. when the lights come back up, its a new take...

3/10/08, 1:21 AM  
Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

Will, you got me there...I've got a running discography in my brain, but couldn't remember the director of a video (no matter how famous); even if my life depended on it. : )

3/10/08, 7:35 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hey all,

Maybe this is late. But the director from the "When I Think of You" video is Julien Temple.

3/11/08, 2:06 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Holy shit. A good Janet Jackson track and a good video! I'm stunned. It looks like Janet finally got her groove back. Off to download the song now as I've been a bit hesitant with Ms. Jackson If Ya Nasty lately. Maybe she felt threatened by Paula's comeback! Nevertheless - I'm pleased as punch. Raj @ www.electroqueer.com

3/11/08, 3:00 PM  
Blogger will g said...

John - Never too late, thanks. Believe it or not (and why should you?), that's what I thought, though I was hoping it was Scorcese. . .And to bombboy76, I've been trying to post a response but gremlins have attacked ModFab's comment machine. Just to say I looked for that and saw no evidence, although I guess that's the sign of good F/X, right?

3/11/08, 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home