2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, March 10, 2008


How I Fell, Head Over Heels, For Amy Adams

CHAPTER ONE: It's a sunny day in 2005. We meet for the first time at Junebug, and I am instantly drawn to her. Innocent, wholesome and yet undeniably flirtatious, she reminds me that we have, in fact, met before (Catch Me If You Can, Drop Dead Gorgeous), but she wasn't a redhead back then, so (she chucks me playfully under the chin as she says this) I'm forgiven. Her laugh rolls around her shoulders, warm, open and infectious. Charming? In spades. I ask her to dance. She agrees. The credits roll.

CHAPTER TWO: It's years later, and I'm being forced to attend a trite dinner party called Enchanted...and no, I don't expect to have a very good time. (I and kids' movies have a long and tortured history.) But all of a sudden: there she is! Lighting up the screen, driving me wild with her glowing presence and perfect comic timing. There's something classic about her, without sacrificing her contemporary style. I start to wonder if this is the beginning of something special, a love like Nathaniel's for La Pfeiffer, or Nick's for Tilda. I fantasize about a remake of Pretty Woman, where Amy is Julia Roberts and I'm Richard Gere. The credits roll. She's gone.

CHAPTER THREE: Occasionally, I see her across the room at parties like Charlie Wilson's War, but never for long. But then fast-forward to yesterday, as I step delicately into the gilded rococo lobby of the shaky period comedy Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day...and there, bubbling like a perfect bottle of Veuve Cliquot, is my precious, my new and everlasting crush, possessing the screen like a mashup of Monroe, Harlow and Hepburn. As she dazzles against the underwhelming material, I realize what she herself has known all along: I'm hopelessly, powerlessly, indubitably in love. I'm her slave, I'm her fan, I'm her devoted. Now and forever.

Amy Adams has stolen my heart. And I hope she never gives it back.

Labels: , ,


Blogger Vance said...

L-O-V-E H-E-R!!!!

And personally, I actually thought she was robbed of an Oscar nomination, that's how strongly I felt about her Enchanted performance. It's not easy to pull off genuine bubbly without looking dumb.

3/10/08, 12:22 AM  
Blogger joe*to*hell said...


did you not meet yearrrrrs ago in the cinematic masterpiece "drop dead gorgeous", starring kirsten dunst, brittany muprhy, kirstie alley and denise richards?

3/10/08, 12:25 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

wait she was in the excellent Drop Dead Gorgeous? I love that film. Who did she play? The slutty cheerleader? Anyway Enchanted made me enchanted with Amy Adams and I am now the hugest of fans. Adore her 4eva. (to go back to my scribbled notebook phase of school!)

3/10/08, 4:46 AM  
Blogger A.M. said...

I agree Vance, she did an amazing job in Enchanted. Totally robbed of an oscar.

<3 her

3/10/08, 7:58 AM  
Blogger will g said...

Very well written, sir.

3/10/08, 8:45 AM  
Blogger J.D. said...

Amy has my heart too, but I think neither one of us knows what to do, so it's now sitting on the dining room table. Maybe someday she'll come back to take it, but *sigh* you never know...

3/10/08, 9:35 AM  
Blogger David S. said...

She is phenomenal! Love this post!

3/10/08, 12:13 PM  
Blogger joe*to*hell said...

yes paul - the slutty cheerleader!!!!!

3/10/08, 12:32 PM  
Blogger T$ said...

i'm with joe - I fell hard for her in DDG...and fell even harder when she went toe to toe (or tit to tit) with Charles Busch as Marvel Ann in Psycho Beach Party.

Even in tiny roles, Adams rocks the house...I'm thrilled that she's getting bigger roles these days.

3/10/08, 1:51 PM  
OpenID drezz76 said...

Have been loving Amy since "Junebug." Loved "Enchanted" and can't wait to see "Miss Pettigrew." Yay for Amy! I do hope that she doesn't go too mainstream blockbuster.

3/10/08, 10:24 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

She is marvelous, isn't she? (I knew you liked Enchanted better than you let on -- and sorry I never got the COC up; maybe I'll do it for the DVD release.) I'm dying to see Miss Pettigrew.

3/13/08, 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home