2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, March 19, 2008


Congratulations, Democrats...

...you've found a way to lose the presidential election. We knew we could do it, if we just fought each other hard enough. Glad to see that we can overcome a recession and a hideous war to do what we do best...bicker and bitch at each other while handing complete control over to the Republicans.

Job well done.



Blogger Barry Rowell said...

The more things change, the more they stay the same: "I don't belong to any organized political party: I'm a Democrat." Something that was true for WIll Rogers should not be true today...

However, these polls will change a thousand times over before this d*mned thing is over. I'm sure we'll be giddy with delight once one of these two actually wins the nomination and the polls skyrocket to the stratosphere in response... remember: that too will change...

3/19/08, 10:32 AM  
Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

while i agree that democrats don't do anything as well as bicker with each other... (republicans have that lock step mentality which sure helps in elections even if it doesn't do much for free thinking ;) )

i wouldn't worry about this too much. The press seems to control everything and from coverage last night of Obama's amazing speech I'm thinking the press is in love with him again... so it's only so long before the numbers start turning back in his favor.

and once it's repub vs. democrat, people will fall asleep whenever they have to listen to McCain. He will not excite the populace unless the press decides they want him to win.

which they might. but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

3/19/08, 10:42 AM  
Blogger Keith a.k.a. K j A M said...

Hey ModFab, take a chill pill. It ain't over yet. I think my most recent comment in "Barak Obama on Race", goes to the core of your legitmate gripe. Ye of little faith.

3/19/08, 10:54 AM  
Blogger FleshPresser said...

These poll results, of course, have nothing to do with the work of the GOP and everything to do with the tactics that the Clinton campaign has waged in order to attempt to stay relevant in a race that they can no longer win.

Clinton would have to win ALL of the remaining primaries in order to even stand a chance, and even then, she'd have to rely upon the Superdelegates in order to clinch the nomination.

The idea that Obama can't win because he can't win the "big" states is pure and utter bullshit. I could tell the voters in NY, CA, MA, and other states that My Cup Of Coffee - A Democrat - was the nominee, and the cup of coffee would win! Of course if given a choice between Obama and Clinton, some will choose Clinton and some will choose Obama.

Here's the deal, though... there are FAR more DEMOCRATIC voters who will NOT vote for Clinton in a general election if Obama doesn't win the nomination.

I predict, however, that Obama will weather this current storm (did you see how PRESIDENTIAL he looked yesterday?), and the numbers will come back up quickly once Clinton is out of the race - even if we have to wait until Denver for that to happen.

3/19/08, 12:45 PM  
Blogger John T said...

I think recent polling in MO, PA, and OH show that Hillary gaining ground isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am going to refrain from saying more than that, as I think it's impossible at this point to attack Obama without attacking his supporters (and visa versa), and so I shall let recent polling in those states do the talking.

3/19/08, 8:53 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

And what does that polling tell you, John? I can't figure out what it's supposed to say.

3/19/08, 8:58 PM  
Blogger John T said...

It says that Hillary has a better chance of beating McCain in those key swing states than Barack Obama-maybe that's a part of this national swing. It clearly has to do with some horrible press that Obama has received recently regarding Rev. Wright's comments and his association with the senator, but I think it shows that in those key swing states, blue collar workers tend to like Sen. Clinton as their candidate, and I want to be pragmatic about this election. If Sen. Obama can't take Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Missouri in a general election matchup, that is of great concern to me. They both espouse liberal ideologies that I agree with, and I certainly don't want John McCain and his 100 years war/economic policy from the Land of Make Believe to be elected president. Therefore, if Hillary is the one who can win the swing states, that does in fact have a big effect on me.

3/19/08, 10:06 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Wow. What do you think changed the minds of all those voters now rushing to Hillary's side?

It is sheer delusion to read those poll numbers as anything more than racism. It is more about finally finding an excuse to hate Obama, and nothing to do with Hillary as a candidate.

I think it's a short news-cycle blip...but if you're right that Rev. Wright is the Swift Boat of 2008, I seriously doubt that makes Hillary the compelling alternative for independents.

3/19/08, 10:44 PM  
Blogger John T said...

I think that Hillary does well with the Independents that matter-moderates, like suburban moms, Hispanics, and blue-collar workers. All of these are groups who consistently vote, but also switch who they are voting for based on each election. Barack does well with Independents like college students and the affluent, voters who rarely vote or who never do. If Barack Obama can genuinely get 80% of college students to the polls, it will not only get him the election but also a really odd looking electoral map. However, this demographic disappoints every election, and I'm not holding my breath for 2008.

3/19/08, 11:11 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Since this discussion shows all the warning signs of being endless, I'll just leave it by saying that I disagree with the points of your analysis.

3/19/08, 11:23 PM  
Blogger T$ said...

I've clicked the comments link to this post a few times...but I can't bring myself to say anything substantive.

I will say: It's extremely sad to me that liberals are fighting each other...and that little to no attention is being paid to the bigger (ahem) war ahead with McCain.

In other words: I second your exasperation.

3/20/08, 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home