2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, February 17, 2008

 

Traveling Today...

Heading To Charm City to teach at my old alma mater. Will be back tomorrow, albeit probably spottily until Wednesday or so.

QTA and his adorable Ryan are visiting NYC this weekend (celebrating their anniversary...yay!). We all went to see Sunday in the Park with George yesterday (and August: Osage County again). SITPWG is just astounding to me, although it won't be so for everyone; it's a love-it-or-hate-it musical to begin with, and this production I doubt will win it many new fans. But I fell in love with the piece all over again...anyone who's every balanced the pressures of a creative life can relate to this story. The video projects and computer imagery support rather than overwhelm (which is exactly how I like technology in the theatre...so often, shows with video are only really ABOUT the whizbangery of gimmicks). The cast is superb, especially Jenna Russell, who obliterates all memory of Bernadette Peters' original performance, and the lovely Mary Beth Peil, who finds much new material in the Old Woman character. It opens on Thursday; try to grab tickets before then.

Labels:

8 Comments:

OpenID toonsntunes said...

And some in Charm City can't wait to see you!!

2/17/08, 12:04 PM  
Blogger David S. said...

Oh dear.. I cannot wait to see that. Glad to hear it's great!

2/18/08, 7:11 PM  
Blogger daveylow said...

I saw SITPWG on Saturday. I was in tears during the last 20 minutes of the performance. This is the first time I've seen the show in which I felt the second act worked. It is a fine production but I have to say I was not totally bowled over by either Evans or Russell. They were fine but I think two top-tier American actors with better voices would have made the production even better. But I'm not complaining.

2/18/08, 8:08 PM  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I saw Sunday In The Park on Saturday as well. My question to you is which performance did you see? I was at the matinee. Did we come this close?

2/18/08, 8:42 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Yes, Steve, we were at the same performance! How near...and yet so far! We were sitting in the second row of the orchestra, where were you? We should definitely coordinate our theatre schedules and go to a pre-performance dinner sometime!

2/19/08, 12:42 AM  
Blogger William said...

Seeing this in April--more than a little excited. That's some pretty hefty praise for Russell, and now I'm salivating just a little.

I'm also seeing Dangerous Liaisons with Laura Linney. I'm also sort of schvitzing over that.

2/19/08, 9:31 AM  
Blogger Kei said...

I LOVED this show when I saw it in London, with the same leads. I love this musical, and usually it's George who makes me cry in the first act. But for this production, Jenna Russell had me in tears in the second act. And I loved how the projections made the painting come to life on the stage. I can't wait to see it again, in NY!

2/19/08, 10:49 AM  
Blogger daveylow said...

steve on broadway and modfab--I was st the Saturday matinee too! I was sitting in Row E center orchestra.

2/19/08, 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home