2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, February 07, 2008

 

The Broadway Meme

Shamelessly stolen from Steve on Broadway, this meme just looked too fun not to have a run at myself. And since there's no serious material for the weekly Adventures In Casting column, I hope you'll enjoy this trip through my completely imaginary musical theatre career:

1. The first musical I ever saw on Broadway was: Rent. Yes, I am a walking cliche.

2. The musical I would most like to see again is: [Title of Show], Elegies: A Song Cycle, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. For three completely different reasons. Title because I love it so, and didn't get enough the first time around. Elegies because it moves me so deeply. And Hedwig because I don't think I really got that piece until the movie, and so I'd like to see it onstage again

3. The musical I never want to see again is: any musical with vampires in them. Lestat, Dracula: The Musical, Dance of the Vampires. Next time, put the wooden stake in my heart instead, please.

4. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a woman I’ve ever seen is: Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza. There have been showier performances, of course, but few that had Clark's level of complexity, integrity, and nuance. A towering achievement.

5. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a man I’ve ever seen is: I'm trying to think of one I thought was better, but I can't...so it's Michael Cerveris in Sweeney Todd. I got goosebumps from the moment he opened his mouth.

6. The person I wish they'd never cast was: Mandy Patinkin, The Wild Party (LaChiusa version). He found the top, reached it, then went sailing over it...destroying the musical's delicate ensemble balance in the process. I know people love him, but I say: ban him from Broadway, forever.

7. The person they should have cast was: Tom Hewitt, or Alan Cumming, or someone who could do psychotic-sexy without turning it into a cartoon.

8. My favorite Broadway choreography was in the show: West Side Story. Yeah, so I only saw the movie. Are you going to argue against Jerome Robbins? (Exhibit A. Exhibit B.)

9. The lyric/line that always brings a lump to my throat is: most everything in William Finn's A New Brain. Especially "I'd Rather Be Sailing," my favorite man-on-man love duet.

10. The stupidest lyric/line I’ve ever heard is: Spoken by really lame boyfriend: "I'll be your father now." - Mamma Mia

11. The first musical I had to go back and see twice was: Rent. See what I mean about the walking cliche?

12. The first musical I ever walked out of was: Sadly, the number is so high I can't even begin to remember the first one. It might have been Movin' Out, it might have been Good Vibrations, it might have been The Civil War, it might have been Jekyll and Hyde.

13. The most under-praised musical in my opinion is: Unquestionably, Boy George's marvelously tuneful Taboo. Never has a show suffered so mightily in the press for its producer's perceived failings. I saw it four times.

14. The most overly-praised musical in my opinion is: Jersey Boys. No, wait: Mamma Mia. No, wait: The Phantom of the Opera. No, wait: nah, I'll stick with Phantom.

15. The show tune I’m most likely to sing while I’m dancing around at home is: I could pick something easy, but instead I'll say "The Five-Fifteen" from Grey Gardens. I don't know about dancing around, but it's *great* for dusting or doing the dishes.

16. If I could recast any role in a current Broadway musical with a performer of the past it would be: Velma Kelly (Chicago) as interpreted by Cher. Okay, maybe it's not perfect...but tell me you wouldn't be first in line for tickets. Yeah, that's what I thought.

17. If I could recast a current actor in a Broadway musical that was before their time it would be: I'd love to see Christine Ebersole in A Little Night Music. Actually, I'd love to see A Little Night Music, period.

18. The show they should never change a word of because it is already perfect is: West Side Story. And that includes those terrible rumors about "updating" it with "rap."

19. The show I'd most like to get my hands on and rewrite is: There's a lot to admire in Finian's Rainbow, and the most of the music is extraordinary. But the book is -- and I'm being kind -- complete shit. It needs a top-to-bottom rewrite.

20. The role I was born to play on Broadway is: Isn't it obvious? Evita.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

My answer to number 1 is scary: I saw the closing night of "The Mystery of Edwin Drood." To be fair, I wanted to see Mary Tyler Moore in some A.R. Gurney play (I don't remember which one... but in 1987, wanting to see a Pete Gurney play wasn't all that scary... but today, it's pretty scary...), but the woman I was dating at the time really wanted to see a musical. Why we chose Drood, I have no idea. Anyway, great answers, ModFab, and great meme SOB!

2/7/08, 12:26 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

Oh cool! Rent was your first? Really? You only started doing Broadway after Rent opened? (or is that when you moved to NY?)

Oooh, I would love to see A Little Night Music. Actually, West Side Story too. Actually, there's a LOT I haven't seen yet.

2/7/08, 2:39 AM  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Although I didn't see Taboo on Broadway, I can tell you that the London original was very moving, and after talking to Euan Morton last fall, I can tell you that he thought it was much better. Too bad it was dumbed down for American audiences because the score is fantastic.

2/7/08, 9:45 AM  
Blogger David Bell said...

this is fun!!

1. The first musical I ever saw on Broadway was: FALSETTOS. Yes, I am a walking cliche.

2. The musical I would most like to see again is: URINETOWN. It closed way too early.

3. The musical I never want to see again is: SPAMALOT. I wandered out bewildered the first time. I don't understand why parroting scenes from the film word for word works.

4. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a woman I’ve ever seen is: Bernadette in GYPSY. I went that one night where she'd been sick for a week but it was the last night the Tony voters could see her so she showed up and turned the shit out old school. I nearly fell out of my chair.

5. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a man I’ve ever seen is: Raul Esparza in COMPANY. He made me melt. I wanted him to corner me at the piano. I started cutting when he didn't win the Tony.

6. The person I wish they'd never cast was: Ally Sheedy in HEDWIG. Yes, I saw her. Yes it was as bad as you heard. Deer. Headlights. Wow.

7. The person they should have cast was: Madonna as Roxy in CHICAGO. Yep, still a walking cliche'.

8. My favorite Broadway choreography was in the show: THE DROWSY CHAPERONE. I believe they described their silly wiggling as "loosey goosey". I wanted to climb onstage and join them.

9. The lyric/line that always brings a lump to my throat is: THE SECRET GARDEN. "How could I know I would have to leave you?/How when I know you still love me so?". Pretty much the last 20 minutes of that musical turns me into a melting fagbeast.

10. The stupidest lyric/line I’ve ever heard is: "I tried! You know I tried" spoken by "Roger" in RENT. That line always makes me laugh.

11. The first musical I had to go back and see twice was: HEDWIG. Actually I ended up seeing it 9 times. Those were the days.

12. The first musical I ever walked out of was: IN THE LIFE. There was no intermission. I was not near an aisle. I had to climb over people. I had to get out of there. My life depended on it.

13. The most under-praised musical in my opinion is: I agree. TABOO. I once second acted it with a really hot guy and did coke in the bathroom at intermish. Seemed appropriate.

14. The most overly-praised musical in my opinion is: SPAMALOT makes a second appearance on my list! Yay! (though I am looking forward to hating IN THE HEIGHTS!)

15. The show tune I’m most likely to sing while I’m dancing around at home is: On average I have sung "You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" once every 48 hours for the past decade and I will most likely continue doing so for the next.

16. If I could recast any role in a current Broadway musical with a performer of the past it would be: Julie Andrews in MARY POPPINS. obv.

17. If I could recast a current actor in a Broadway musical that was before their time it would be: Aaron Lazar as "Tony" in WEST SIDE STORY. I would do anything to make this happen. Anything.

18. The show they should never change a word of because it is already perfect is: FALSETTOS. It surfaced right when I was coming out as a melting fagbeast. It was my first boyfriend.

19. The show I'd most like to get my hands on and rewrite is: APPLAUSE. So flerging dated but the songs are delish!

20. The role I was born to play on Broadway is: "Mary Lennox" in THE SECRET GARDEN. I want it all to be wick!

2/7/08, 1:10 PM  
Blogger Billy D said...

You'd make a beautiful Eva Peron darling.

I soooo wanted NPH and David Burtka to do "Waltz for Eva and Che" at Broadway Backwards this year. :-(

2/8/08, 12:31 PM  
Blogger ZenDenizen said...

I'm stealing this for a rainy day...

2/11/08, 11:42 AM  
Blogger ZenDenizen said...

And that rainy day is today!

2/18/08, 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home