2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, January 24, 2008


Readers' Discount for Family Guy At Carnegie Hall

I don't obsess over Family Guy publicly, because, well....it's hardly Pulitzer material. But it's time I came out of the animated-monkey closet...the truth is, deep in the underground ModFab lair, the Griffin family is on the TV almost daily. It's one of those mindlessly fun shows I'll watch in endless re-runs (the others being Roseanne, The Golden Girls and Living Single...yeah, I know, it's tragic), mostly because of the character Stewie, the demonic baby bent on global domination. Stewie is the child for people who hate children; face it, if all kids were witty, cultured, bitchy and had British accents for no apparent reason, who wouldn't want one?

So I naturally leapt with excitement when I was contacted by the folks behind An Evening with Family Guy’s Alex Borstein & Seth MacFarlane: A Benefit for the Writers Guild of America Strike Fund. I've loved Bortstein since her Mad TV days, and she's the voice of Lois (and a producer/writer) at Family Guy; McFarlane is the show's creator and major voice talent, including doing the voices for Peter, Brian and (my hero) Stewie.

The one-night-only event is a week from today, January 31st, at Carnegie Hall in New York City; planned for the entertainment are "wild renditions of pop
anthems and musical theater numbers" with special guest appearances by Patti LuPone (!!!)
and Janeane Garofalo (!!!!!). And who can argue with the cause? The WGA Strike Fund ensures that artists get their basic food and housing needs met while Hollywood bigwigs continue to deny them fair payment for their work.

And best of all, they're offering a deal on tickets. Normally, they're $45-$75, but Modern Fabulousity readers can get 25% off the ticket price by calling (212) 247-7800 and using the code WGA6020. I will be there, so if you're going, shoot me an e-mail...I'd love to meet you!

Labels: , ,


Blogger Jill said...

Oh, man, if it wasn't a weeknight, I'd be SO there.

I'm a recent convert to the First Church of Stewie myself...maybe it's because Family Guy replaced my beloved Futurama, but when it was first on, it was just too sophomoric. But lately we've been escaping the rerun of the Nightmare that is Chris Matthews by watching FG and holy shit, is it ever funny. I don't know how they get away with half the stuff they do. The only thing is that I can't quite get past the fact that Brian the dog sounds exactly like San Diego progressive radio host Stacy Taylor (who subs for Randi Rhodes sometimes). When Taylor is on Air America, I keep envisioning Brian the dog at the microphone.

1/24/08, 8:21 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

You forgot to mention that Seth MacFarlane is dreamy.

1/24/08, 9:25 AM  
Blogger Briefs29 said...

Yeah, how could you forget Seth's hottiness? Too bad he's a straight one...

1/24/08, 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home