2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, January 16, 2008


No Day But Today

Rent is closing on Broadway. The end of an era. Although the rumors have been out there for almost a year, I feel like somebody died. Rent was the first musical I ever really connected to, on a spiritual level. (Why yes, I am indeed a drama queen. How did you guess?)

Labels: , ,


Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Rent goes down in my own personal book of shows as the first one to make me cry.

Not some little tear, easily dabbed from the corner of my eye, but a real sob.

When I first saw the show in 1996, the landscape for individuals with HIV and AIDS was so dramatically different; each lived with a veritable death sentence for each one.

Thankfully, huge advances have been made since 1996, not only in treatment for men and women living with HIV/AIDS, but also in American's more positive attitudes (Mike Huckabee notwithstanding) toward and compassion for these individuals.

I haven't revisited Rent in about 8 years, and I'm not sure it would resonate with me quite the way it did on my two earlier viewings, but I will always remember this show's essential heart and furthering the dialogue on this still devastating disease.

1/16/08, 3:09 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Sniff Sniff. The craptastic current London production also closes next month. Couldn't see that coming from a mile away. I'm sad it's closing on Broadway. So so sad. Still the best musical of all time if you ask me.

1/16/08, 4:30 PM  
Blogger Vance said...

Oh good, I thought I was being totally schmaltzy in my emotioned response to Rent finally ending on Broadway. It's not just me. Thank you again Jonathan Larson!

1/17/08, 1:24 AM  
OpenID toonsntunes said...

Wow... I guess it had to happen eventually.

But I'd still rather watch Rent everyday for a year then watch Legally Blonde once.

1/17/08, 12:35 PM  
Blogger ladydisdain said...

RENT gave me many, many, many things, not the least of which was you. I can't believe how sad I am.

1/19/08, 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home