2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, January 27, 2008

 

A Milestone To Celebrate

It is with much love and admiration that I draw you to Nick's Flick Picks, which yesterday celebrated its 10th anniversary of superior film criticism. Ten years in the internet is a long time; I started my first site in 1998 as well, but I've hopped around, while Nick has stuck it out, creating thoughtful, compelling, and witty essays on cinema and celebrity. He's the kind of blogger I'd like to be: passionate, magnetic, idiosyncratic, weird, determined to ignore the pressures of daily content in favor of maintaining high quality. I come from a film critic background (which is actually how I met Nick, many years ago), and know quite a few film bloggers. It insults none of them when I saw that Nick's Flick Picks is the most compelling site of its kind I've ever read.

Here's a little-known bonus factoid: when Mr. ModFab and I got married in 2005, Nick was in my wedding party; he read (beautifully) an assortment of Whitman poems that moved everyone who heard him. Nick is, by all appearances, a tall, thin white guy, not uncomfortable in the halls of academia...but at night, he changes. At my bachelor(ette) party, he bumped and ground his way on the tiny dance floor to every Missy Elliot and Whitney Houston tune, gyrating like a Class-A pole dancer, singing along to every word, transformed into a rap goddess. (And yes, Nick, I hope you're smiling at this memory, too. Congrats, and many happy returns.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick Davis said...

You are a PRINCESS to say these things. Very, very sweet, and yes I did smile at this memory (as I often do), and already by the beginning of the paragraph. Even if I couldn't help noticing that you added 10 years to your state of wedded bliss. ;)

You are a treasure; as I said in the post, meeting you is one of the best things the site ever did for me. Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant, you know the rest.

1/27/08, 1:32 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I love that your wedding involved time travel! Sweet!

;)

1/27/08, 4:41 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Oops! Nick, you're so right...it just feels like it was twelve years ago, not two. ;-)

1/27/08, 9:51 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Oh and by the way, as one who has been blessed by many opportunities to dance with Nick (including once to "He's the Greatest Dancer," on a floor that all but cleared for us!), I can vouch for every single thing that ModFab has said here. They're all true and then some. I could sing Wham: "I'm never gonna dance again / the way I danced with you ooohhwhoaa." Sigh. (Or maybe I will turn out to be wrong! Maybe there's a Mr. Dr. S out there somewhere who also has skillz and moves! Yow! But if he can't bend over backwards and bring a crowd of people onto a floor in a weird basement bar in Savannah, GA, he won't hold a candle to Nick.)

1/27/08, 12:50 PM  
Blogger ZenDenizen said...

Nice to know a little bit more about the man behind ModFab! Kudos to your friend, checked out his site, looks great.

1/27/08, 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home