2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Wednesday, January 30, 2008


The Kylie Video For "Wow", And The Thorny Dilemma Revealed Therein

I suppose out of some sense of fairness -- or because there's never really too much of a good thing -- I'm following up yesterday's post of Kylie's new video for "In My Arms" with a second new video, "Wow," my favorite track on her recent disc X. Why two brand-new videos? Chalk it up to her global dominance: "Arms" is the new single in continental Europe and Canada, but "Wow" is being released in the United Kingdom and Australia. (There's no plan at the moment for a U.S. release, although both videos were filmed January 15th in Los Angeles.)

I've made no secret of the fact that I think "Wow" is one of the best songs of Miss M's long career, easily her best pop hook since her comeback hit in 2000, "Spinning Around." (Yeah, I'm skipping "Can't Get You Out Of My Head," which I felt had a great dance beat but wasn't especially poppy.) I had high hopes for its potential internationally, but I've got to admit that I've been underwhelmed by the remixes (crucial to any dance-pop artist's success) and this video, which should have been sexy and effervescent and joyous, not robotic space suits and neon. I still adore the track, and of course love Kylie. But I feel her record label has totally missed the boat: "Wow" should have been the lead single international, then "In My Arms", then "2 Hearts". (For the record, I think this happened with her last record, Body Language, too; while I think "Slow" was a good song, it wasn't a great lead-off single...the addictive vamp "Chocolate", the clap-heavy "Still Standing", and the quirky-pop "Secret" struck me as the obvious choices.)

Labels: , , ,


Blogger joe*to*hell said...

its daft punk meets madonna's jump video

1/30/08, 12:01 PM  
Blogger Manuel B said...

Totally agree: WOW rocks my socks off (and this is after it's been on loop on my iPod for over a month now)
The video... well, it looks like a Kylie through the ages: doesn't it evoke Spinning Around, riff costumes off of Can't Get You Out Of My Head, sparkle like In Your Eyes and even remind you vaguely of Confide in Me?

1/30/08, 12:12 PM  
Blogger Cal said...

'Wow' should definitely have been the lead single. I also love 'Heart Beat Rock' and 'Speakerphone'. As for the video, it's good but I've seen better. My fave video has been 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' and fave track 'Love At First Sight'. But she's had so many. A true legend.

1/30/08, 7:27 PM  
Blogger Kei said...

Wow wow wow wow! Kei loves Kylie. I don't like the video so much, but I can't wait to hear WOW at a club so I can dance to it in public, instead of just my living room. Or instead of just moving my head spastically on the Metro when it blasts through the iPod. Oh, and of course I can't wait to dance to it 26 July, in London! IN MY ARMS is a better video, and a great song though it doesn't make me as crazy as WOW.

1/30/08, 11:58 PM  
OpenID toonsntunes said...

The whole project has been interesting. Either Kylie is taking chances and risks, or her record company is going tits up and trying to fuck her over.

But I did get word from EMI/Parlophone yesterday, Wow is to be the lead off single in the US.

Not the safest choice for the US, but it'll be an easier sell than 2 Hearts.

I have to agree on the disappointing remixes though. Her A&R people should be shot and replaced with someone who knows what they're doing!

1/31/08, 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home