2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, December 14, 2007


Sweeney Watch: Sondheim Speaks!

Dark Horizons has the longest (and by far the most in-depth) interview I've seen with Stephen Sondheim, the legendary composer of, among many other things, Sweeney Todd. I'm guessing he's about to be skipped over when the plaudits for Depp, Burton and Co. start piling on (as will the original book writer, Hugh Wheeler, in favor of screenwriting adaptor John Logan). So it's nice to hear his thoughts on the process and how he puts it all together.

Meanwhile, I think someone we know saw it last night...and didn't take me with him. I'm emotionally devastated, and may never fully recover. Pray for me.

Labels: , , ,


Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

in my defense, a divorce would have been imminent if I did not take The Boyfriend.

and I fully agree that stupid Americans will give Tim Burton all the credit but the truth is this: Sondheim's masterpiece is pretty damn indestructible ~ even with leads who can't sing!

12/14/07, 7:29 AM  
Anonymous G said...

Stephen is happy about this movie - an inside word.

12/14/07, 7:58 AM  
Anonymous will g said...

Thanks so much for the interview limk. I wish he'd give up on Bounce and write something new. Have you heard it? (Finetune.) BORING!

12/14/07, 4:31 PM  
Blogger Kei said...

Oh, it doesn't get better than this blog... Madonna, Stephen Sondheim, and Mario Lopez all in a row! I've resisted hearing any of the trailers and previews because I want to hear JD and HBC sing for the first time when I go to the movie. Yes, I have my doubts because of how fiendishly difficult the score is to sing and how perfect Patti Lupone and Michael Cerveris sounded in the last production I attended. But once I get used to their untrained singing styles, I think I might really get wrapped up in Sweeney Todd's world. I'm so looking forward to it. And if the music is disappointing, then I can always go back to the cast albums. And yes, I think Mr. Sondheim should give up on BOUNCE. I saw it 1 1/2 times, I went to the Chicago premiere and didn't like it and went back to it when it came to DC but I walked out during intermission. Sigh... I don't want to just see Sondheim revicals, so let's hear something really new! in the meantime, I cried through half of the Sunday in the Park... revival coming to Broadway in 2008. Glorious!

12/15/07, 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home