2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, December 31, 2007

 

The Modern Fabulousity Endorsement: Part I


On Thursday the 2008 race for U.S. President finally begins, with the first and most important of the state selections -- the Iowa Caucus. I've debated for almost six months about who to endorse for President; truthfully, I planned to make ModFab's endorsement last August, but with the dramatically dynamic race so far, I held off...largely because I couldn't make up my mind. I'm still, even at this point, only sure of two things: 1) everyone spends way too much money on this shit, and 2) no matter who wins the primaries, I will be working happily and without reservation for the campaign of the Democratic candidate...whoever he or she may be.

But who to endorse? Over the next few days, I'm going to share my process of elimination, which includes both the ridiculous and the talented. At the end of the day, there are six people I legitimately considered voting for. How I narrowed it to one is, well...here's how it started:

WHY I'M NOT VOTING FOR: Any of the Republicans
Because all of them miss the point...badly. Some of them are easy to dismiss; the majority of Republican candidates refute science and evolution, and a few of them even question whether the world is actually round. (I wish I were kidding about that.) But among the sane Republicans, most of them refuse to recognize the truth of our failure in Iraq, the economic strain upon the middle class, and the complexity of global policy. Rudolph Giuliani and Mitt Romney have sold-out their long-held moderate views in favor of bloody red meat on guns, war, immigration, and social issues...in the process losing whatever integrity they had and sadly echoing the dishonesty we've experienced with the Bush Administration. Ron Paul, who gets many independents excited with his libertarian rhetoric, has some scary beliefs if you do the research. Without question, the best Republican option is John McCain, who I can at least respect for his honesty, experience and leadership...but I disagree with him on many policy issues. Unlike McCain, I don't think the "surge is working" in Iraq (I credit the decrease in violence to Moqtada al-Sadr's self-imposed ceasefire, which can end at any time), and his pro-war, pro-life, anti-marriage social agenda is the wrong way for America.

WHY I'M NOT VOTING FOR: Mike Gravel
He's batshit crazy. 'Nuff said.

Tomorrow: The "Experience" Factor

Register To Vote Today!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home