2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Friday, December 14, 2007


Madonna Officially Very, Very Old Talented

Although she can still wear pink stretch ballet tights with the best of them, time still wears inexorably on against Madonna, who this year is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. To be eligible, it must be 25 years since your first recording...and if you're doing the math, yes, you first heard "Borderline" while Reagan was serving his first term. Joining her in the senior citizens' line at the Hall of Fame commissary: John Mellencamp, Leonard Cohen, the Ventures, the Dave Clark Five, bluesman Little Walter, and songwriters Gamble and Huff ("If You Don't Know Me By Now", "Love Train").

I kid Madonna because I LOVE. I love her look, I love her music, and I love her future hip replacements and bladder control problems. She is more than simply the music diva of our age. She is also, now...Grandma.

Labels: ,


Blogger JOE * to * HELL said...

i just....i cant. i cant bear the thought of "old" and "madonna" in the same sentence. please...it scares me.

i'm not ready for it. make it stop

12/14/07, 9:13 AM  
Anonymous will g said...

On the other hand, maybe she started when she was, oh I don't know. . .VERY YOUNG.

12/14/07, 4:10 PM  
Blogger nate@natemetz.com said...

I think it's hot that Madonna is aging. She's breaking pop culture barriers that dictate that pop is x, y, and z. She's having the most fun in her chosen career, while being a mother/grandmother/wife, and making strides in the community as a global citizen. But have you seen her hands lately???

12/15/07, 2:06 AM  
Blogger Kei said...

Oh my God. Have I been living my life with her music as soundtrack for 25 years!? Has it been 25 years since that cheesy electro-groove and nasally voice first grabbed me and wouldn't let go in EVERYBODY? 25 years since I first tried the high kicks in the Lucky Star video? 25 years since I first went wild and danced around my room to HOLIDAY? 25 years since I had a crush on the cute Latin boy in the BORDERLINE video? Deep shock. Off to my yoga class to take some deep breaths... Congratulations, Madonna, from one Midwestern Catholic-school girl to another...

12/15/07, 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home