2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, December 13, 2007

 

Golden Globe Nominations

The Golden Globe nominations are here. I didn't do too badly with my picks...until you get to the music categories, where I blew massive chunks all over the place. Metaphorically speaking. Anyhoo, there was a lot of strength for American Gangster (boo!) and Eastern Promises (yay!), and less support that I expected for There Will Be Blood (boo!) and Into The Wild (yay!). Below are the nominees, my selections, and some commentary. What do you think?

BEST PICTURE: DRAMA (5/7)
American Gangster
Atonement
Eastern Promises
The Great Debaters
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

All five of my picks were chosen; I had no idea they'd pick 7! (What is this, the Golden Satellites?) I'm thrilled that Eastern Promises got some love, which will help it get back into the Oscar race. Less thrilled about The Great Debaters, which makes me giggle every time I hear the title. (Great debaters? I say, MASTER debaters!)

BEST PICTURE: MUSICAL/COMEDY (4/5)
Across The Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Enchanted
Hairspray
Juno
Sweeney Todd

Well, I guess it is a musical, so why not pick Across The Universe? I had expected the Amy Adams juggernaut to carry Disney's commercial flick into the race...but never underestimate the power of Beatles songs on Baby Boomers. It's like catnip or something.

BEST DIRECTOR (3/5)
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd
Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Sean Penn, Into The Wild
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Ridley Scott, American Gangster
Joe Wright, Atonement

I had Schnabel as a dark horse, but Ridley Scott's merely adequate work hadn't made enough of an impression on me to see him as a contender. I'm struck also by the complete lack of love shows to Into The Wild...I expected it would do better with the Globes than anywhere else.

BEST ACTOR: DRAMA (3/5)
Josh Brolin, No Country For Old Men
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Frank Langella, Starting Out In The Evening
James McAvoy, Atonement
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises
Denzel Washington, American Gangster

I'm so thrilled for Viggo. I'm absolutely crushed, however, that Josh Brolin got skipped. What a terrible oversight...especially when his slot went to Denzel, who was just doing his Denzel thing. (Seriously, has Washington ever created a wholly unique characterization?)

BEST ACTRESS: DRAMA (4/5)
Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away From Her
Jodie Foster, The Brave One
Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart
Ashley Judd, Bug
Kiera Knightley, Atonement

4 for 5 here...and truthfully, I should have seen Blanchett coming. I just thought The Golden Age was so terrible. But Bug was so very tiny, with a small release and no real Oscar push support. Wishful guess on my part.

BEST ACTOR: COMEDY/MUSICAL
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl
Tom Hanks, Charlie Wilson's War
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages
John C. Reilly, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Seth Rogen, Knocked Up

Huh. Who knew. Maybe it's funnier than the trailer looks. My theory that Knocked Up would do well at the Globes seems to have been, umm, incorrect.

BEST ACTRESS: COMEDY/MUSICAL (4/5)
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray
Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd
Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
Laura Linney, The Savages
Ellen Page, Juno

I'd love to be all up in arms and outraged because the Globes skipped my girl Laura, who I love more than life. But truthfully, I loved Nikki Blonsky in Hairspray, and I wasn't expecting to. She was really the electricity that made the movie work. So I'm okay with this, is what I'm saying. And now she, Ellen Page and Amy Adams can have a three-way Cute Off to the death.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (3/5)
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into The Wild
Max Von Sydow, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
John Travolta, Hairspray
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

Everybody loves movies stars in drag, I guess.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (4/5)
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Sairose Ronan, Atonement
Julia Roberts, Charlie Wilson's War
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton
Marisa Tomei, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Again, I should of thought of this, and didn't. Tomei is cute, but she's no Julia...and the HFPA really likes star power at their televised soiree, you know?

BEST SCREENPLAY (4/5)
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Diablo Cody, Juno
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Christopher Hampton, Atonement
Ronald Harwood, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Aaron Sorkin, Charlie Wilson's War

As I mentioned in my predix column, Hampton is a titan in the field, and Atonement is just too tony a prospect to pass up. Plus, the ghost of Ian McEwan seems to haunt this category...people do love that book.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG (0/5)
"Despedida," Love in the Time of Cholera
"Grace Is Gone," Grace Is Gone
"Guaranteed," Into The Wild
"That's How You Know," Enchanted
"Walk Hard," Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
"Come So Far (Got So Far To Go)," Hairspray
"Do You Feel Me," American Gangster
"Lyra," The Golden Compass
"If You Want Me," Once
"Rise," Into The Wild

Boy, did I blow it. But really, did I? It seems ludicrous that they would skip over Marc Shaiman, Diane Warren, and the Once soundtrack, which was a critics' darling. Oh well...


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (1/5)
Michael Brook with Kaki King and Eddie Vedder, Into The Wild
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
Clint Eastwood, Grace Is Gone
Alexandre Desplat, Lust, Caution
Johnny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, Once
Alberto Iglesias, The Kite Runner
Dario Marianelli, Atonement
Howard Shore, Eastern Promises

In my opinion, the most egregious nominations of the year. Let's start with Iglesias' heinously chipper and loud score, which telegraphs each emotional moment of The Kite Runner like a jackhammer plowing through pavement. Or the Atonement score, which screams "WE'RE BRITISH!" through a musical megaphone (Harpsichord? Really?). And then there's Eastwood, who never met a plinky piano he didn't love. Ugh. I'm disgusted.

BEST FOREIGN FILM (4/5)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Romania)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (France)
The Kite Runner (Hollywood, USA)
La Vie En Rose (France)
Lust, Caution (China)
Persepolis (France)

What the hell? Since when is Kite Runner a foreign film? Just because it's partially set in Afghanistan doesn't make it the product of a foreign country. I mean, heck: Battlestar Galactica is shot in Canada. That doesn't make it really from outer space.

BEST ANIMATED FILM (2/3)
Bee Movie
Beowulf
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Shrek The Third
The Simpsons Movie

I'm surprised there was no Persepolis nomination here...especially given that it showed up in the Foreign Film category. Perhaps this is an obiesance to Fox?

Previous 2008 Oscar-ology:
- New York Film Critics Flout L.A.
- Boston, Los Angeles Critics Weigh In
- National Board of Review Winners
- Golden Satellite Nominations
- Independent Spirit Nominations

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger T$ said...

thanks for posting these - I totally forgot the nominations were out today.

12/13/07, 3:53 PM  
Anonymous G said...

A gay man blowing the musical picks? I guess in the time of Global warming that anything crazy can happen (but do better next year, otherwise we will make a Logcabin Republican out of you!).

12/13/07, 5:18 PM  
Anonymous G said...

The Travolta (he may have been hot in SNF but he is no Divine!) and Atonement (saw it in England during the release there - good but not a great film) nods reminds me why the Globes are really not legit awards! You should write about the Hollywood Foreign Press Association- mostly a bunch of Hollywood leaches.

12/14/07, 7:56 AM  
Blogger joe*to*hell said...

if the harispray chick beats marion cotillard, i will just bomb hollywood.

maybe she is cute, but as piaf, that frenchie NAILED it and even made guarded old me cry!

musical and comedy in the same category is jackassian

12/15/07, 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home