2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, December 03, 2007


Discussion Topic: The Top 10 Film Musicals

List Universe recently announced their choices for the best movie musicals of all time, and like any such list, it's got a mix of solid choices, bold assertions and egregious selections. Left off the list: Chicago, Moulin Rouge, All That Jazz, The King and I, South Pacific, Hairspray, Damn Yankees, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Show Boat, A Star Is Born, An American in Paris, and Dreamgirls. Check out what they chose, and let your fellow commenters know where it all went wrong (or right).

Labels: , , ,


Blogger JOE * to * HELL said...

and evita

yeah i said it
hail the queen

12/2/07, 11:59 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

That list is so conventional, it's rather disgusting. [shame finger-motion]

12/3/07, 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

I'll be the first to say it (well, the first here, although sometimes it feels like no one else agrees with me on this one): "The Lion King" sucked. I mean, really.

As much as I love "Hedwig", and that's a lot, I don't think it could honestly sneak onto a top 10 musical list. If it were of my favs, sure, but if I'm trying to objectively (ha) compile an ultimate list, it's not quite canonical yet. I'd argue the same for "Moulin Rouge" as well, actually, although my affection for it has admittedly waned since it came out.

Otherwise I'd say they're not far off the mark, although I'd like to see "Grease" ranked lower, "Cabaret" ranked higher, and would maybe try and get "Chicago" on the list.

12/3/07, 12:19 AM  
Blogger par3182 said...

cabaret should be number one

grease is more of a guilty pleasure than a top tenner

beauty & the beast and the little mermaid rank way ahead of the lion king

i'd have all that jazz and judy's a star is born on my list

plus hair

12/3/07, 12:46 AM  
Blogger daveylow said...

Where is Umbrellas of Cherbourg on this list?

12/3/07, 12:52 AM  
Blogger qta said...

I am with Dave. The Lion King is o.k. it is even good, but it is not one of the Top 10 Musicals of all time... nor for that matter is Mary Poppins. West Side Story and Cabaret should be much higher, Grease should be much lower (though still in the top 10) and Chicago and All That Jazz should be added... Don't know if I would swap out Moulin Rouge! for Rock Horror... hmmmm.

12/3/07, 3:54 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

Before I saw the list, I was like, hey, how can they leave out Chicago or Moulin Rouge, but really, can any of those be taken off the list, (although I never really considered The Wizard of Oz a musical even though it has songs). I might not put them in that order (I'd put WWS, Cabaret and SoM higher) but they're pretty much the few classics that actually live up to the nostalgic hype.

Personally, LOVE Lion King but if anything were to replace it, I would go with fellow Disney animated film Beauty and the Beast instead then.

12/3/07, 8:05 AM  
Anonymous shonuff said...

conventional, sure, but there were no fred-and-ginger musicals. top hat? swing time?

i'd also add in gigi, maybe also guys & dolls, pal joey, meet me in st louis and victor/victoria. how is west side story not at the top of the list?

and though i can't imagine it actually making a list, i do adore south park: bigger, longer & uncut. oh, and in this category also is the blues brothers.

and how is it that the lion king is the disney movie here? that catalog is too good to have such trite up here.

12/3/07, 9:48 AM  
Blogger T$ said...

That list of theirs is way way too conventional. Although I was glad to see Cabaret and Rocky Horror made the cut.

I guess no foreign musicals are worthy of their consideration...

12/3/07, 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home