2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, November 29, 2007

 

The Problem Of Rufus

Maybe the most unpleasant moment of my recent trip to Mexico (there weren't many) was a brief musical summit with QTA, Shantytown and Toons 'N Tunes out at a beachfront restaurant, where we were enjoying multiple margaritas and lusting after a hot waiter. The subject turned to Rufus Wainwright; I quickly discovered that I was trapped in a Rufus Hater Convention. Which is cool...I realize that many people dislike him (his voice, his music, his effeminacy, etc.). But for me, I am always amazed by his songwriting chops, his expressiveness, and his iconoclastic, off-kilter showmanship. He's essentially a hot gay nerd with a show queen heart, and his influences filter through his art in fascinating ways. With his live concert CD and DVD about to be released next week, I think Rufus' strengths AND weaknesses will be on glorious display. Like in this promo video, for instance...sure, he's no Judy Garland, but what he's doing remains odd, postmodern and interesting. At least, it is to me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Ack! I don't understand the Rufus haters! For all of his arrogance, he is a true artist. It was inspiring to hear first record...an unapologetic queen singing about subjects that I can relate to? Impossible.

11/29/07, 10:31 AM  
Blogger StinkyLulu said...

This was my year to transform from a hater-in-waiting to a shy fan.

And I didn't even see the Judy concert. S'all cuz of Going to a Town.

11/29/07, 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

You and Mr. Modfab should rent a car and go see him at the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg, PA on December 20. Book a room at the Hampton Inn, which is a 10 minute walk from the theatre. Have a lovely Irish dinner at Siamsa just a few blocks north then head to the theatre for the show. Stay over till Sunday and then come home.

We just did that for a Railroad Earth show and it was a really fun little getaway. Or, you could go whole hog and stay at one of those Pocono pleasure palaces. But it's a nice little venue for a concert.

12/1/07, 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love rufus and have for years so suck it haters!
maw

12/2/07, 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home