2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Sunday, November 11, 2007


An Intro To What's Tapeworthy

I couldn't turn down a handjob so here I am, Vance from my lil' blog Tapeworthy here, along with the fabulous Stinkylulu, guest blogging for ModFab while he's lying on a beach right now, surrounded by hot Mexican cabana boys and umbrella drinks in hand (or is that surrounded by umbrella drinks with cabana boys in hand?). Either way. Lucky bitch! So Stinkylulu and I will keep you all company and hopefully we can keep you entertained with our bitching, ranting and raving and hopefully live up to the fabulous ModFab standards!

So let me first introduce myself a little. As ModFab says, I am he who constantly pushes Pushing Daisies on Tapeworthy where I essentially discuss what entertains me (in TV, Film, Theatre, and Music, with a heavy slant on TV). Since I totally judge people based on what movies and TV they like, I'll let you judge me based on my current Top 10 TV picks, especially now that we are in the midst of November sweeps and a writers strike (in solidarity!). So if you like any of the my Top 10 picks, we can totally be friends. If you love all my Top 10 picks, will you marry me?

1. Friday Night Lights - Utterly honest, heartbreaking, hilarious. Who knew football could be so enlightening on life, love and relationships? With an impeccable cast led by the amazing (and amazingly hot) Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton, who would have thought jocks and the community that loves them would create such a deep and rich television series?

2. Pushing Daisies - Just the colours (I'm Canadian and we like to spell things funny), the sets and the overall design should be enough to pull us in, but the delightfully morbid yet charming stories, twisted plots and oddball characters are some of the many things that satisfies our TV cravings.

3. Ugly Betty - The gayest show ever (yes, that includes you Queer as Folk) and loving every vibrant, campy, soapy, melodramatic moment. Too many characters to love, too many comedic duo possibilities with a fearless America Ferrera leading the zany pack through comic gold, infused with loads of heart and heartbreak. Oh and loads of bitchiness thrown in!

4. 30 Rock - Speaking of zany, Tina Fey, as the fictional series "The Tracy Jordan Show" headwriter Liz Lemon, leads a group of complete loons around Rockefeller Center that just keeps getting funnier and funnier and helps us forget that Alec Baldwin is probably a raging madman in real life by being an absolutely hysterical madman on TV.

5. The Office - Thank goodness my office isn't exactly like this, but I sure love spending time with Jim, Pam, Oscar, Stanley, Phyllis, Angela, Creed, Toby, Kelly and Ryan. Sometimes even Michael and Dwight.

6. Chuck - A fun spin on the spy game, with Zachary Levi charming us with his geek wit and any show with a character named Captain Awesome who isn't a superhero, deserves credit for being totally awesome. Plus casting the hot and VERY FUNNY Ryan McPartlin as Captain Awesome certainly doesn't hurt.

7. Brothers & Sisters - Add Walker family members, pour in alcohol, stir in an issue or two, shake and then take a step back before the explosions occur. It's a trashy soap opera performed by an A-list company of actors and all the more addictive because of it.

8. How I Met Your Mother - Barney. Slap Bet. Slap Countdown. Enough Said.

9. Aliens in America - What started off as a mildly amusing, possibly offensive look at a Muslim in middle America has turned into the politically biting, extremely hilarious family/social comedy I knew it was trying to become. Plus Amy Pietz is rocking the role of Franny, the mom of the Tolchuck family that takes in Raja, the esteemed morally grounded visitor, endearingly played by Adhir Kalyan.

10. Bones - It was a tough choice for 10th spot, since both House and Desperate Housewives have re-surged in quality, while Grey's Anatomy is almost getting back there. There are my favorite guilty pleasures like Gossip Girl, Men In Trees and Beauty and the Geek, and The Amazing Race is off to a terrific running start again, but Bones has been consistently entertaining and witty (yes, I said witty. On a procedural!) and between the romance between Hodgins (TJ Thyne) and Angela (Michaela Conlin) and the sexually laced banter/tension between David Boreanaz's Booth to Emily Deschanel's Bones, it has also become one of the most romantic shows around. Yes, a show about the dissecting of dead bodies through their remaining bones has become terribly romantic. Who would have thought?

Other great shows currently on hiatus: Mad Men, Entourage, Project Runway (though starts in a few days!!!), Lost, Weeds, So You Think You Can Dance.
Other Tapeworthy shows: The Amazing Race, Desperate Housewives, Gossip Girl, Grey's Anatomy, House, Men In Trees, Supernatural, Samantha Who?, Beauty and the Geek, The Big Bang Theory.

So, there you have it, go ahead and judge me. I know you want to! (I would!)

Labels: , ,


Blogger Manuel B said...

What an (almost!) perfect list of top ten shows that are tapeworthy ;)
My only qualms with it which I will of course be judging you for: Friday Night Lights & Aliens in America (which I've yet to be inclined to watch...) and Desperate Housewives (with a revitalised season) not making the cut ;)
All in all, seems like ModFab is in good hands. :)

11/11/07, 3:54 PM  
Anonymous will g said...

You really should get your cable provider to carry F/X!

11/12/07, 8:35 AM  
Blogger DBK said...

We're in more than a writers strike. There's a stagehands strike as well, which has shut down 27 theaters on Broadway. I don't know if it has shut down the off-Broadway shows as well. I can't see why it wouldn't. This might kill my anniversary plans to see Die Momma Die next week, though our dinner reservations will be fine. I guess Mrs DBK and I will have to just go home after dinner and have sex.

Damn. I hate when that happens.

11/12/07, 8:51 AM  
Blogger DBK said...

I should have read the article I cited to the end. All off-Broadway shows are running. At least for now. Yay! That saves me from a lot of unnecessary exertion.

11/12/07, 8:53 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

What? No Dirty Sexy Money?

11/12/07, 2:29 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

i never got into Friday Night Lights though i hear good things about it. I love the whimsy of Pushing Daisies, and just adore that show. Ditto Ugly Betty - definitely the most melodramatic and proud of it show on tv since possibly the Colbys. And who knew Bro and Sis would become such an enchanting yarn???

11/12/07, 11:53 PM  
Anonymous will g said...

You really should get your cable provider to carry F/X!

11/13/07, 4:16 AM  
Blogger Vance said...

As for F/X... WE DON'T GET IT IN CANADA... (cue tears)

So I haven't been able to check out Damages yet. The Shield is carried on a Canadian network and I liked it but they keep switching the times that I lost track and figured I'll catch up on DVD sometime soon.

As for Dirty Sexy Money. Nope. It's good. It's getting better. It might make it onto the list soon, but it's still 3 stars for me and everything I mentioned is 3.5 star or above. But I find it's still not as great as it potentially could be, but it is on my radar.

As for Aliens in America, give it a chance! It's one of those shows people automatically dismiss but it's so much better than you would think it ever could be.

11/13/07, 5:44 PM  
Anonymous will g said...

Vance, sorry about the duplicate postiing. Seriously, that's a tragedy about Canada and all, but you must set aside a year and catch up with all of the best shows on TV on DVD. I don't think any other network comes even close to their quality these days. Thnaks for responding.

11/13/07, 11:15 PM  
Blogger Vance said...

Well, apparently with the strike, I may just finally have time to catch up! (seriously, I've got all these HBO/Showtime/FX shows just waiting now...if only I could take more time of work... hehe)

11/15/07, 8:23 AM  
Anonymous dd said...

groovy list. good news about damages for us canadians. Showcase (sadly, not to be confused with U.S.'s Showtime, sigh) will be carrying it in the new year. and since i'm new at this blogging business, i'm not sure of the etiquette, but can i link you to my blog on the damages news?

11/28/07, 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home