2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 

Adventures In Casting: Travolta To (Hopefully) Get Hit By Subway

OUT IN LA LA LAND...

- John Travolta will continue the career refurbishment he started in Hairspray with a villainous turn in The Taking of Pelham 123, a remake of the inert 1973 Walter Matthau thriller. Travolta will lead the band of subway hostage takers, while Denzel Washington steps into Matthau's shoes as a put-upon transit supervisor who turns hero. And if you think terrorism won't be invoked, you haven't been watching enough Olbermann.

- After taking almost 30 years to make his first three movies, Terence Malick (The New World) is now churning them out at a pace that rivals Michael Bay. Coming up next on the atmospheric, moody, vaguely misogynistic plate will be Tree of Life, starring Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) and Sean Penn (Fast Times at Ridgemont High). I'm dripping with anticipation.

IN THE BIG APPLE...

- January's two-night Carnegie Hall performances of Jerry Springer: The Opera have finally found their leading man: Harvey Keitel (Reservoir Dogs), who will pick up an easy check play the titular talk show host. Directed by Jason Moore (Avenue Q), there are still a few seats left if you're into it. Me, I'm waiting for the full cast list, and hoping for something like...

- ...the cast for next February's Sunday in the Park with George revival at the Roundabout -- the talent is so awe-inspiring that even I'm at a loss for something bitchy to say. Joining original London stars Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell are Tony nominee Michael Cumpsty (Copenhagen) Alexander Gemignani (Assassins), Jessica Molaskey (The Who's Tommy) and one of the grande dames of the theatre, Mary Beth Peil (Nine). If the show is half as good as the cast, we might see a Tony Award sweep at the end of the year.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jim said...

Pelham 123 "inert"??? I think you meant to write taut. It's a very good thriller.

11/1/07, 10:14 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

No, I definitely meant inert. As in sluggishly slow, verging on paralysis.

11/1/07, 10:36 AM  
Blogger vance said...

I'm still a little lost for words on the Keitel casting but I think I may have to make yet another trip in the spring to see Sunday... I've never seen it but it looks like this might be the right production to introduce me to it.

11/1/07, 10:57 AM  
Blogger KingRoper said...

'Pelham 123' is inert? Sluggishly slow? Come on! I've seen this film dozens of times and it never fails to keep me on edge.

Perhaps you don't appreciate character development or rising tension?

You've just lost any credibility you might have had.

11/4/07, 11:24 AM  
Blogger ModFab said...

Wow, that's all it took for me to lose all my credibility? That was easy! I should have done it years ago.

As for the film, I find it dreadfully dull and jam-packed with missed opportunities.

Love your blog, by the way, Roper. You're really cooking along.

11/4/07, 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home