2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Tuesday, October 23, 2007


Tallying The Damages

Tonight's the season finale of Damages, and that's really, really, really too bad. For two reasons. First is the prevailing rumor that its declining ratings have sealed its cancellation. And also because, in the last four or five episodes, it has become the best drama on television. The only recent comparison I can think of, in fact, is The Sopranos in its early seasons. Breathtakingly taut, intellectually satisfying, and emotionally explosive.

Sure, in the beginning Patty Hewes (Glenn Close) and the gang had waaaaay too many loose ends to keep up with. But it is astonishing at how creatively and surprisingly the writer-creators Glenn Kessler, Todd A. Kessler, and Daniel Zelman have brought the seemingly-disconnected storylines together. Not to mention the top-notch work on the other side of the camera; if there is a God, then Zeljko Ivanek's Shakespearean turn as a fatally compromised attorney will be Emmy nominated, alongside Close's deceptively intricate work. As should the production design, which is movie-quality, far beyond what TV normally gets (or deserves).

I hope that Damages doesn't end tonight...but if it does, it's already got a place on my mantle reserved for the DVDs of great shows eclipsed before their time, alongside Murder One, Twin Peaks, Sports Night, and Thief.



Blogger Paul said...

I have stayed away from Damages (cos it won't affect ratings as i am in Britain) cos i heard so many good things about it that it is bound to be cancelled and break my heart. I am risking emotional distress already by investing in Pushing Daisies...

10/23/07, 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Son of Agamemnon said...

I remember "Thief"...Andre Braugher was sooo good! It's a shame that got canned.

"Damages" is fabulous. It's so luxurious to have Glenn Close on my little TV every week. I really hope that it doesn't get cancelled. It's more than unfair that a wonderful piece of art like this show would be considered for the way of all flesh, while stupid shit like "Yes, Dear" and "Two and a Half Men" go forward for years.

10/23/07, 9:27 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

I look forward to Damages every week -- which I can't say to too many shows (Dexter, Mad Men). It would be a shame to cancel it. It is a phenomenal show.

I can't wait to see the season finale tonight. I love the way they have the flashbacks and how it all ties in. It's a really smart program.

10/23/07, 10:12 AM  
Anonymous will g said...

I hadn't heard the shocking cancellation rumors -- I tend to skip all publicity until I can watch the DVD unspoilered -- but don't you think this is one case where, if the unthinkable should happen, another cable outlet, basic or pay, will snap it up? Come on, it's Glenn, for chrissakes.

10/23/07, 11:19 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

And it's even worse, Will...because the finale (which I just watched!) sets up a beautiful story arc for Season Two! Please, FX, pick it up for a second season!

10/24/07, 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home