2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, October 22, 2007


A Note To My Blog Family...

I guess it's time to come clean about the hints I've been dropping in the comments about "changes" coming to Modern Fabulousity. After 3 1/2 years of daily blogging, I feel I have to be honest with you, my friends and readers...it's started to become a mind-sucking chore. What was once joyous and thrilling now feels, more often than not, like drudge work. And part of that is because I've allowed things to go a bit stale...some weekly features have clearly run their course, and if my Google Analytics page is right, there are some things that readers enjoy much more than others.

I've also been dismayed of late by the downward intellectual spiral of cultural blogging in general. New York Magazine's got a great article this week, about the increasing cruel shallowness of blogs in the wake of Gawker, Perez Hilton (aka, he who shall not be linked), and their vain, dispiriting ilk. Four years ago, Gawker was the first blog I ever read. In fact, I modeled ModFab in large part upon the writing style of its former editor, Elizabeth Spiers. Now I wouldn't read their tacky mean shit if you paid me. (Which is not to say that I don't like to poke fun at the hypocrisy of celebrities at times...but there's a smart way to do that, and a retarded way to do that. Guess which one I think Perez is.)

So it's time to shake things up a bit. Beginning this week, you'll no longer be seeing features like the , , and . Buh-bye. Others will be transformed -- the weekly will now be joined by a "sister" column called Adventures In Casting, which will explore the wacky choices made by Hollywood, London and Broadway. And a few reader favorites will continue on -- the , , , , and of course the venerable .

They'll be joined by many new features, as we hew closer to our original mission of cultural chatterboxing, entertainment critiquery, and the upcoming presidential election. (I'm trying to think of a name for that feature. "Clusterfuck Democracy" is the best I've come up with so far.) Perhaps most exciting for me personally is that I hope to relaunch the Mod Fab Six, the oft-neglected superheroes of culture. I miss them dearly, and I think I've figured out how to make the idea work better than it did the first time. And expect more coverage of books, TV, theatre, dance, movies, food, and FabLiving...both by me and by occasionally invited guest bloggers who I think the world of.

If you're still reading all this navel-gazing, that must mean you care, which is very nice to know. So I have a request. I'd like to genuinely ask: what is it you'd like to see in the future? What do you want to keep reading here, and what would you like us to do that we're currently NOT doing?

Long story short: Modern Fabulousity is changing. Not all at once. And not entirely. But changing nonetheless. I hope you'll stick it out as we try to get better at being modern. Because, of course, we couldn't possibly get any more fabulous. ;-)

Labels: ,


Blogger par3182 said...

as one of the world's laziest bloggers i'm constantly amazed that you come up with such entertaining entries every. single. day.

i'll pretty much read anything you want to write (except big brother updates) so i'm putting myself in your hands and await the changes...

10/22/07, 12:37 AM  
Anonymous dawn said...

Oooohhhh...more books and theatre and dance... wonderful!

I can't wait. :-)

10/22/07, 12:58 AM  
Anonymous michael said...

When I started reading "A Note to my Blog Family", I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. Every time I get attached to a blog, it seems to go away. I was very happy to see that you're going to continue with ModFab. The blogosphere needs writers with intelligent, well informed opinions and I'm very glad that you'll be continuing to share yours.

I love that you're considering taking on the upcoming election, it can use all the humor you can inject...

10/22/07, 5:59 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

These all sound like good moves. I understand the business about the soul-sucking chore (see the Six Chix strip I reprinted today). You're fortunate in that you can serve a cultural niche and perspective that is underrepresented in the sea of crap celebrity journalism. Theatre, movies, music, and yes, a bit of politics from a cultural perspective are all beats you cover well. Leave the tabloid stuff to He Who Will Not Be Linked.

I understand the frustration. I went to Yearly Kos this year and met no end of people who waxed rhapsodic about B@B -- and yet I can't seem to get past the 700-a-day mark with any regularity. I only wish I covered a more niche beat that isn't already consumed by 800 pound gorillas. (Though FDL is at least kind enough to link to me.)

Sounds like even more fabulousness to come. For what it's worth, since I'm only one person, I'll be reading. :)

10/22/07, 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i personally like circle of life thursdays and am happy that stage addiction is staying. i think my favorite phrase from this post is "entertainment critiquery." love you and your blog! less than 3 weeks to sexico!! woot! wooooot!!! :) xox shannon h.

10/22/07, 8:32 AM  
Blogger JB said...

I was glad to read that ModFab was morphing and not falling of the face of the blogosphere. Anything you choose to cover will be fantastic I am sure. And you have my vote for "Clusterfuck Democracy"!

10/22/07, 10:37 AM  
Blogger JOE * to * HELL said...

oh dear lord - as long as you arent going away!

ps - i think i am one of the lowrent bloggers....

10/22/07, 11:13 AM  
Blogger TP said...

Three cheers, my friend! Though I did enjoy circle of life Thursdays, I look forward to new features which I'm sure you'll make even more witty and stimulating. Hooray!

10/22/07, 1:17 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I miss the Six too, baby. I'd be so happy to be the (near-)London correspondent, if you want that show back off the ground. Just think: you'd have a three-continent reach now, at least for the next year.

10/22/07, 5:35 PM  
Blogger Nick Davis said...

Stage Addictions is my favorite of all the regular features, and I'll still relish it in whatever new form you've got cooked up. I'll be pleased as punch, too, to pitch on your new ModFab 6 ideas.

You are still the big sister blogger I'll always be living up to: your blog was the first one I ever read, and unlike Gawker, you're still classing up the joint. But I can see why you'd be tired giving as much as you do to this! You do whatever you want, and we'll all keep clicking over every day. (And I'll keep wearing my T-shirt - which actually got recognized by a stranger in a Chicago gayborhood a few months ago, though I think I forgot to tell you!)

10/22/07, 8:57 PM  
Blogger R. said...

I would just like to say I love Stage Addiction and I would love to see more theatre-related commentary.

10/22/07, 11:17 PM  
Blogger The Slabber said...

Gosh, I firmly believe that change and variety are the essence of blogs, blogging, and bloggers -- or at least the ones I read and like. The more change, the better -- please bring it on. It is a huge relief just to know you're not leaving us; that would be very hard to take. I would like to suggest that you not feel too tied down to anything whatsoever. It's nice to have regularity and reliability -- ah, what would we do without "Monday ManScan"? -- but it's far more important that you have the freedom and latitude to do whatever makes you happy with ModFab. Without that, there's just no point. Please do the things that make you happy and excited, and you can bet we'll feel those same things as a result. (...And BTW, one more thing: please don't set too much store in the numbers at Google Analytics; I almost wish I had never discovered Analytics. They're such a Judas kiss.)

10/22/07, 11:36 PM  
Blogger Manuel B said...

Great thing to hear you're changing things up and trying to move away from those mindless and mindnumbing blogs that seem to be reproducing at a cancerous rate.
I'm new to the game - blog went live less than 2 months ago - but I am inspired by interesting, intelligent and not mass-driven, celeb-crazy bloggers. :D
Can't wait to see what you have in store.

10/24/07, 12:26 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

G, I stumbled across you from googling "Big Brother" reviews, I believe. I liked your commentary on the show so I stuck around and I'm glad I did! :)

I enjoy reading about the musicals, music and TV shows you review and discuss very much.

I, too, was afraid that you were closing your blog or something when I first read this entry and I was like, "Aw, no! Not another blogger biting the dust!" :(

If I had to ask for something I'd like more of on your blog, I'd like to hear more about your personal life.

Because that's mainly what kind of blogs I read; bloggers who write about their lives and thoughts and I do the same on my blog.

But even if you don't, I'll still come to read because I enjoy everything you write about! :)

10/24/07, 12:11 PM  
Blogger T$ said...

changes you may make...

but please don't go away...

10/24/07, 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home