2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards


Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Monday, September 24, 2007

 

The New TV Season: The Big Bang Theory

THE BIG BANG THEORY
Mondays, 8:30pm (CBS) starring Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar

Forget the big bang -- there's only one theory at work in this show, and this is it: Nerds. Are. HILARIOUS. Especially the overly-verbose, bespectacled, socially inept, math-obsessed, fashion-challenged variety. And they're even funnier when they try to talk to hot girls....especially dumb blondes who move into the apartment next door. Because, see, nerds are smart, but they get all tongue-tied and stoopid around girls...and the girls are so stoopid they don't even notice. HILARIOUS!

Or so the theory goes.

CBS has often been the La Brea Tar Pits of comedy (Two and a Half Men, The King of Queens, Yes Dear), but rarely have they indulged such a lazy set of stereotypes (and writers). THE BIG BANG THEORY reinforces the alpha-male dynamic of heterosexual romance with an antiquated set of assumptions about people that seem decades behind the times. The jokes -- I counted three references to "string theory", two for "quantum physics" -- all revolve around that idea that academic intelligence is at best useless...and at worst, seriously unattractive. Watching theoretically smart people act like morons in the presence of a hot babe...well, twenty-five years ago, we called this Weird Science. It wasn't especially funny then, and it isn't funny now.

What a waste of talent. Johnny Galecki (The Opposite of Sex) is a talented entertainer, as he proved last season on Broadway in The Little Dog Laughed. And producer/creator Chuck Lorre has written some of the best television comedies of the last two decades, including Roseanne, Dharma and Greg, and Cybill. But the braindead procedings of this terribly unfunny experiment in nerd hormones make you wish for something with actual heart and truth. It premieres on Monday night...which means it's not too late to change the channel and watch the second half of Chuck, which seems to be a far better gloss on a similar situation.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Eddie said...

Johnny Galecki... not to mention his cock is huge... re: Little Dog Laughed...

Heh.

Eddie. I know this comment was below me, but what can I do?

9/24/07, 1:57 AM  
Anonymous Son of Agamemnon said...

Hey! I like KING OF QUEENS. Okay, it's not exactly High Art, but it had some quite good actors, and I have a special place in my heart for Kevin James, a fine comic actor.

Yes, I said a special place in my HEART, you cynic.

9/24/07, 10:18 AM  
Blogger vance said...

Maybe i have a soft spot for 4 camera comedies that are cute if not spectacular (seriously, I can watch Reba forever for some reason), but I kinda like TBBT. It's no Weeds, 30 Rock or The Office but the Parsons kid was a hoot.

Still, Chuck was far superior but I'll probably end up taping TBBT anyways.

(then again, keep in mind, I actually liked Freddie too. ha... so maybe my tastes need a re-tooling).

9/24/07, 10:49 AM  
Blogger Lab2King said...

I actually think this looks pretty good. Better than most of what is coming out this week.

9/24/07, 5:19 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I liked it a lot, too. The main characters may be hopeless nerds, but they're extremely likable, the lead actors are a terrific comedy team (and I think Jim Parsons is going to be one of the year's breakout stars), and I laughed more often than not.

9/24/07, 9:06 PM  
Blogger ModFab said...

I'm a bit stunned by the love for this show. It's a near-offensive parade of stereotypes. And funny? These jokes were stale two decades ago when the jocks in my high school yelled them at the math nerds.

9/24/07, 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home