2007 Verve Awards

2006 Verve Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog 2005 Queer Day Awards

Best Gay Blog Nominee 2004 Weblog Awards

Best Arts and Culture Blog Nominee

Saturday, February 24, 2007


A Personal Note

A friend of ours -- a regular reader and participant here at Modern Fabulousity, and one of the best human beings ever made -- is going through a very rough experience right now. I can't go into a lot of detail, because the internet is insane and I don't want to expose their private life. But it involves a rather terrible medical diagnosis, so incredibly sad that I can't imagine what they are going through.

I should be able to handle this better. I came out in the middle of the HIV epidemic (1987, to be exact), and my first real job was working for a LGBT theatre company where I knew a lot of brilliant, talented men who later died of AIDS complications. The anger and sadness motivated me to join ACT-UP and Queer Nation, to stage national protests, etc. But that was a long time ago, and I guess my tough skin about such things has eroded. I am taking this very hard, and it must be exponentially worse for our friend.

Basically, I just wanted to let this person know that I love them deeply, and will be there through any and everything that comes their way. And I also wanted all of you to know how much I appreciate you, and how much you mean to me. Blogs are weird things, and they create a closeness that isn't especially tangible but is real nevertheless. Thank you for reading, and thank you for being here.


Post a Comment

<< Home